Sax on the Web Forum banner

Which professional alto would you recommend??

• Yamaha YAS-62 II

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Selmer SA 80 II

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Yamaha Custom Z (82)

• CE Winds Pro Alto

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:treble: I am a college student and am looking to purchase a professional level alto sax. I was considering the Yamaha YAS-62 II, but my instructor suggested that I get a Selmer SA 80 or a Yamaha Custom Z. He said I should not go for the YAS-62 II. I can get a new YAS 62, or used selmer or custom z. I did also found the CE winds site and was intrigued by their Pro level altos for that price. Does anyone have any suggestions as what sax I should get? A new YAS-62 II; a used Selmer SA 80; a used Yamaha Custom Z; or a new CE Winds Pro alto. I am in college and have been playing for 9 years now so I am an intermediate to advanced player. Thanks :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,596 Posts
Go For a Phil Barone saxophone www.philbarone.com I have a Yamaha Custom Z Tenor, and when I tried the Barone a gold plated classic, it just blew my Z away and the horn was half the price and it's GOLD PLATED!

Though on Alto I'm kinda regretting not getting a Barone since it would of saved me a tone of money and probably played just as well.

and Phil's saxes comes with one of his hand crafted mouthpieces.
Custom made neck
BAM like case

trust me for the cash nothing beats one of Phil's saxes.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Play as many saxes as possible and find out for yourself what does work best for you.

Macsax and TK Melody are nice instruments too, as are Bauhaus-Walstein, just to name a few. And Kessler&Sons got the ad on top of the page supporting this fine community here and the instruments are nice also. Or maybe one of the Crescent saxes from justsaxes might rock your boat?

How should we know? You have to live with the choice for a while. ;-)

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts
What are your playing goals? That would be my first consideration.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
The Yanagisawa A991 is an awesome horn! Good price. Vincent Herring plays the @#$%!!! out of his.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I really dig the custom Z's. Also, I am a fan of the original purple logo 62's. I like the ergos and action of yamaha on alto.

The Z's have amazing "slotting" as well

·
Registered
417 Posts
Play as many saxes as possible and find out for yourself what does work best for you.

How should we know? You have to live with the choice for a while. ;-)
Good advice. I would add that Selmer and Yamaha would have better name recognition and thus re-sale value.

I've owned a Selmer sa80 II and am currently playing a Yamaha 62II. They're both good horns.

·
Banned
85 Posts
I've always been a fan of Selmer for their ergonomics and for how malleable their horns are in terms of sound. Custom Z would be my second choice for their reliability.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts