Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to learn to improvise and I`m looking to buy a couple of Aebersold play-alongs to start off with.
Can anyone tell me which is the best volume to start with ?
I read somewhere to begin with Vol. 54 Maiden Voyage. Others say Vol. 1 (makes sense, numerically :D ).
Any ideas ?

Thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Volume 1 is good, because it's almost like a theory book as well. Then 54 and 70.

If I were starting again, I'd suggest BIAB first. Run though a bunch of tunes using the 'automatic improvisor', run different types of improvisors in BIAB -- study that stuff first...

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Start with vol. 1. It not only has a variety of chord changes and modes but a lot of introductory text which pretty much lays out Jamey's approach for all of what follows.

I would follow that up with both vol. 2 "Nothing But Blues" and vol. 54 "Maiden Voyage" both of which were made for beginners to intermediates. They compliment each other in that the one deals with IMO the most fundamental expression a jazz musician should have, the blues, with songs in standard forms and easy keys/modes.

The first will give you enough exercise-type material to work on and the next two, tunes for fun.

Back to work, I would next get vol. 3 "The II/V/I Progression", the chord progression that is the heart of most western music. And concurrent with that, vol. 5 "Time to Play Music" which was written at about the same level or a little higher than vol. 54.

Beyond that, I would just get the volumes with the composers and styles that you like.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
The "Blues in all keys" (42, what a coincidence) one is pretty usefull, but don't get it before the others mentioned.

·
27,650 Posts
Sorry - I overlooked Haywood's suggestion of vol 70 and I agree, it is also good and it's about the same level as vol. 54. I just like the tunes on 54 better but either will do the trick.

·
Registered
790 Posts
If you decide to start using Vol.54, have a look at Jazz-o-Matic.
You can subscribe to one or more online lessons from Keith Ridenhour based on some Maiden Voyage tunes.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,498 Posts
Grumpie said:
If you decide to start using Vol.54, have a look at Jazz-o-Matic.
You can subscribe to one or more online lessons from Keith Ridenhour based on some Maiden Voyage tunes.
...and if you purchase the amazing JAZZ-O-MATIC in the next 15 minutes receive absolutely free the even more amazing POLKA-O-MATIC (or is that polk-o-matic) :D

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,567 Posts
I like to start students off with volume 24 major and minor in all keys. Actually Aebersold recommends starting with 24.

·
27,650 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok, now things are a bit clearer. Thanks for the tips everyone.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
565 Posts
bobsax said:
...and if you purchase the amazing JAZZ-O-MATIC in the next 15 minutes receive absolutely free the even more amazing POLKA-O-MATIC (or is that polk-o-matic) :D

...but wait...there's more! :)

Autumn Leaves - Aebersold Maiden Voyage (Vol 54)
Bb Blues - Aebersold Maiden Voyage (Vol 54)
Summertime - Aebersold Maiden Voyage (Vol 54)
Watermellon Man - Aebersold Maiden Voyage (Vol 54)
Sugar - Aebersold Killer Joe (Vol 70)
Sweet Georgia Brown - Aebersold Killer Joe(Vol 70)
It Might As Well Be Spring - Aebersold (Vol 25)
My Funny Valentine - Aebersold (Vol 25)

I think Keith did a great job on these - thanks for the props Grumpie!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think 42 is a good option to start easily

·
Registered
525 Posts
I'm still a beginner and still haven't mastered my ear to play anything substantial on the Maiden Voyage book. But I ordered volume 40 anyways (supposed to be intermediate/advanced) because it has my fav tunes (Days of Wine and Roses). Would it be counter-productive to practice the more advanced songs when I still can't play anything well on the beginner book?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts