Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
First choice: Miles Davis' Kind of blue. The masterpiece of modern jazz. And you've got Trane and Cannonball for us sax addicts.

The second CD is more difficult, it would be either one by Sonny Rollins, Saxophone Colossus or the Village Vanguard (wait - these are three CDs already, if you count Vol 1-3 separately), or a Charles Mingus CD from the time he played with Eric Dolphy, most probably Mingus At Antibes.

It's only for a year, then I could listen to all the other great stuff again. The most interesting thing in Jazz for me is the huge variety of styles and personalities. So it is really hard to single out a few.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Jazz pärlor
Women - The best jazz vocals

First is Swedish collection-cd that I bought used few years ago. It contains great pieces and its in quite good condition too :)

Second is another collection I bought. I like jazz vocalists, espesially women and it has so many good songs.

THOUGH I would have choosed my The Best of Glenn Miller and his orchestra - In the Mood , but it has 3 cd's so thats too much if we are allowed to bring only 2 cd's.

·
Registered
132 Posts
My first choice CD would be "Timeless Cannonball Adderley". A collection of eight works he recorded in 1955 during a visit to N.Y. The second CD I would have is "Triumphant Sax!", which features John Coltrane, Gerry Mulligan,Coleman Hawkins, Johnny Hodges, and other greats. Joe.

·
Registered
67 Posts
wait......
does a desert island have electricity, cause my batteries won't last one year.

Ok i would take any Maceo Parker cd i could find just for the pure 98% Funk and 2% jazz.

Then either Dave Brubeck - Take 5 or maybe David Sanborn - Pearls for some sentimental moments, if htere were any.
Sand isn't the most appealing thing in the world.

Could you dance on the Island??

·
Registered
223 Posts
The Best of Miles Davis and John Coltrane, 1955-1961 (phenomenal album, has Milestones and 'Round Midnight and Blue in Green and other such classic songs)

and then either Dino Martinis stuff (the local band from Calgary, anyone seen them around? they tour a bunch), the Benny Carter All-Star Sax Ensemble, or some of my rock stuff. The Beatles. :p

·
Registered
83 Posts
the best selling jazz cd of all time, kind of blue-miles davis as well as birth of the cool(1950), 1950, miles davis, gil evans, lee konitz, gerry mulligan,
john coltrane(this one i would never want to be without).

·
Registered
204 Posts
1. The best performance of Beethoven's 9th I can locate.

2. Variable. At the moment I'd probably take Beaver & Krause Wild Sanctuary/Gandharva double rerelease since this is my disc of the moment. This option would be different another day. Something a lot more modern. And Gandharva has Gerry Mulligan performing in Grace Cathedral ... so, you can't really top that for early electronic experimental music. Besides, I think the contrasting renditions of "Walking by the river" could keep me sane on an island for quite some time. Alternatively, I'd ask for a laptop and a CD of a train simulator.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.