Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How to Mic a Flute for Small Venue

I haven't used mics for either sax or flute, but am starting to play gigs in small restaurants and other venues and wonder whether I should think about a mic for the flute. Does a mic make things easier, since you can play softly?

If you use a mic for flute, what set-up do you recommend? (clip-on mic or other; keyboard or PA, etc). Thanks!

·
Registered
8,024 Posts
I never use a mic on a soft restaurant gig. It just annoys the wait staff and diners. It also brings up the level of chatter in the place.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
I use a Sennheiser 441 dynamic pointing down from above touching my big nose just above the embouchure hole.
This way I don't blow air into the mic and I can adjust distance easily for high notes.
Even in relatively quiet environments a little amplification is ok, it also allows for some reverb to match the other band members.
I have a small wedge amp that I put on the floor or a chair if only a duo, otherwise a PA.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I use an AKG C-420 into a Fishman Solo Amp (one channel for the guitar player, one for me on C and alto flutes).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts