Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have been playing for around 3 years or so, though for various reasons I haven't been practicing a ton lately. In any case, I am now starting to feel as if the old YTS-23 is a bit limiting for me. It's not so much the sound, because I can get a decent tone out of it. It's more the keywork of it - it just seems really clunky to me and I often feel held back by it.
So, I have decided that the time is drawing near (maybe an x-mas gift to me, from me?) to upgrade.
My question to you is what would you move to, in the $3-$5k range?
I've been to the local shop here and tried out the high-end models like the REF 54 & 36m and some real expensive Keilworth, but preferred the Yamaha YTS-62 to both of them. I am hoping to compare that one to some of the Yanagisawa models that the store has as well (I believe they have a T-W01 and another more expensive model). They also carry Tenor Madness and Seawind (?), though I haven tried either of them either.
Anyway, just wondering what your thoughts are...
Regards,
Byron

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
Seawind is Phil Dywer's brand. They are top level horns. Are you in BC?

Honestly buying new is pretty pointless these days. Try a bunch of horns, if you like the 62 you can probably find a used one for around 2K. Even better buy a YTS61. They're a lot thicker than the 62's and a bit cheaper.

I played a 23 in high school and it took me 12 years to land on a 61. Probably what I should have looked for in the first place.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,580 Posts
This is such a hard question to answer, for a number of reasons, but needless to say with your budget (especially if you'll consider buying used) you can get any number of horns from any number of brands. If you don't like the keywork of the 23, I'd probably avoid vintage US horns (King, Martin, Conn).

Modern Yamaha horns are very comfortable to play, but a lot of people don't necessarily like the tonal character they tend toward. I would assume you're going to want to try before you buy, so that eliminates buying online. I guess I'd go to as many shops as you can and play as many horns as you can, especially with the budget you have.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
There are lots of options in the price range, but the only person who can know what's right for you is you. Try as many as you can in the shop, and try to audition a used vintage horn or two, as well.

I played a 62 for years, and loved it. I'm currently on a TW0-2, and I love it even more. I tend to think you can't really go too far wrong with Yanis or Yamahas, but that's me. Play 'em for yourself, pick the one that works for you.

·
2,073 Posts
Lots of great advice so far, and in that price range there's no reason you can't get a quality instrument that will last the rest of your life.

Yamaha usually gets my top vote, I've been playing an 82z tenor for ten years and have no plans to switch any time soon. They're great horns, as are the 61 and 62 models. If you can try some and pick your favorite, you'll be in the best shape, but honestly they're so consistent that you could probably order one and be just fine.

There are many other great options, though. You can probably find a used Yanagisawa in your range, and virtually any model will be a big step up. In my opinion, their bottom-end horns are still some of the best saxophones being made right now.

You can also look for a German-made B&S, like a Blue Label, Medusa, or a stencil like an older Guardala. They aren't made any more but they're also phenomenal instruments and still pretty under-valued on the used market. My alto is a B&S-made Guardala and it's up there with the best horns I've ever played, at any price tag.

·
1,552 Posts
Ive seen several YTS-61s on FeeBay. Great horns. Had one and wish I had kept it.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I’d suggest trying the Yanagisawa for sure. My TWO20 came out of the box just so precise, fluid and solid in the keywork. Rolex watches can only wish they were built as scrupulously. The sound is focused but still has a nice complexity to it and the intonation is spot on. If they have a nicely set up Selmer Series III, be sure to try it as well.

As far as Yamaha, pay attention to the necks and you might like to try a different model or two. You might find the V1 neck to be too open in comparison to what you are used to with the 23; the 62 neck that comes on the 62III is at the other end of the spectrum, very narrow and constricted.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
Anyway, just wondering what your thoughts are...
Regards,
Byron
First thought: You’ve been a member here for 3 years and haven’t seen this question raised before??? :twisted:

Second thought: +1 to your thoughts about trying the Tenor Madness and Yanagisawa tenors.

Life is good for tenor players - lots o’ choices in that price range. Realize also that you can get a lot of horn for less money if you buy used.

Here’s a current example: https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?344436-Yamaha-Custom-82z-tenor

G’luck with your quest.

Tenor - It’s all that matters. :borg:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hello,
play them in the store and take what fits best to you.
Above 3k you usually don't find crap but I would also ask a good tech about my current horn.
As we don't know if your horn has been serviced during the last three years I am pretty sure that a fresh setup will fix most of your issues

BR
Juergen

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,880 Posts
I think this is a case of building G.A.S.

You have played 3 years and you think that you have overgrown your 23? Pardon me if I have doubts about that.

It may very well be that you sax needs a bit of TLC from a technician but there is nothing that can possibly “ hold back” anyone who has played for 3 years.

Of course the 62 in the shops feels nicer, because it’s a higher end horn and most probably because it is adjusted way better.

Anyway, a more expensive horn is motivating people to play more but is not generally making them better players.

I’s buy a good and well known brand because there is no telling what you are going to be doing in a few years. Selling some less known brands turn out into a nightmare the moment you walk out the shop.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Better yet, buy from one of the many small businesses that operate in Ontario.
Which small businesses are you referring to, exactly? I see very very few places that sell woodwinds in Canada in general, and even less in Ontario...am I missing something? :)

To answer some, yes, I have had the sax in a couple times for service, and while it's always been mostly happy days afterwards, I still remember that even when I first bought it I noticed that the keywork was not nearly as smooth as some of the horns I'd tried in the store...of course that's too be expected since they are more expensive horns. And yes, I understand too that while the 23 may not be really holding me back since I am still really a beginner or early intermediate player, it does really feel quite clunky to me, and the nice horns are definitely easier to play on (and really, this is a hobby for me much more than some sort of path towards being a pro or anything, so I should be able to enjoy it as well, without justifying the desire for something nice, right?)
The vintage Yamaha's sound interesting though I'd really need to play an example to make any decisions...

Anyway, I suppose I have noticed similar threads to this, but I guess I wanted to get the take of players who may have had a similar horn, and also, since I have less than fifty posts, I need to bump up my post count so I can see the 'great deals' in the market place :p
Thanks everyone for your input,
Byron

·
2,073 Posts
Hey, Byron! Just noticed a hell of a deal on a tenor here on the forum. If I had money to throw around I would jump on this, it's a Yanagisawa for $1800 plus shipping. That's a steal for one of the best horns out there. Even the "lower end" Yanagisawas are still pro horns that stand up to anything else on the market, and I think they often outplay Selmers costing several times as much.

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...sawa-T901-Tenor-Saxophone-Excellent-Condition!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts