Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Palm Eb key original light action spring 0,015" x 30,90mm on my Balanced Action Tenor broke -
replaced it with rubber band just before the gig.

today went to a sax tech to buy a good replacement .
But , he only had or to heavy or to light springs available - I've ended up installing to heavy flat spring temporarily, though it affects the "balanced " action of the palm keys quite significantly .

Anyone knows where to order/ buy similar to "vintage" BA flat springs for Palm keys,
0,015" ( 0,41mm) thick x 30,90mm length

Thanks in advance for advice.
Dimitri View attachment 78346

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Note that a spring will be a lot stiffer if its effective length is reduced. Most springs need to be re-bent such that during operation, only 1 or 2 mm contacts the key near the screw, and the rest is free of the key (and any free of other part of the sax).

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Are the Musicmedic flat-springs like the rather crappy Ferrees springs, or like the very high quality Kraus springs?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are the Musicmedic flat-springs like the rather crappy Ferrees springs, or like the very high quality Kraus springs?
I would like to know that too.
As I m still hesitant where to order the flat springs from, music medic has a very user friendly web shop,
Kraus on the contrary - sells only to professional techs , so it's not an option in my case.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
1,863 Posts
Thanks for reply, haven't heard about directly order spare parts from Selmer?
Dimitri, if you repair for a living, you can open an account with Selmer Paris for parts - they are very good, even to the extent of asking for serial numbers so that they can match the lacquer on keys and other lacquered body parts!.

If you do not repair for a living you can still get them via any shop that is a Selmer Paris Dealer.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dimitri, if you repair for a living, you can open an account with Selmer Paris for parts - they are very good, even to the extent of asking for serial numbers so that they can match the lacquer on keys and other lacquered body parts!.

If you do not repair for a living you can still get them via any shop that is a Selmer Paris Dealer.
I am just a jazz player who is learning to repad and fix his horns common issues with little cash that a jazz muso gets these days in euro-zone ;)
Know any Selmer parts resellers in euro-soviet Union?

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
1,863 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts