Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some months ago we moved. I had disassembled my The Martin tenor for repadding and repair. Now I've finished the work and am trying to reassemble the horn but some screws are missing.even thought I thought I had carefully put them away. Sooo... does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can get two pivot screws (for C# key) and little threaded rods (the palm D and Eb pivot on them)? Is there somebody somewhere who can make such things? Without them I am really in trouble. Thanks.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the local guy has a small collection of machine screws but no pointed pivots. He tells me that I will probably have to get the pivot rods made, I used to do machine work and understand how to make them but don't have the tools or materials. Hopefully there is someone out there in SOTW land who does this sort of thing. Or, I can just jump off a bridge. Losing them was really dumb.

·
Registered
206 Posts
It's hard to say if I have any; different makes/models/vintages of instrument use different sizes of screw. Some have heads, some don't, different thread counts, etc. I inherited a bunch of pivot screws, but I have no way of knowing which, if any, would fit. Pivot rods, I usually start with one of the right diameter, cut it to length and slot it. Techs with more tooling cut, thread, and slot pivot rod from scratch.

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
4,982 Posts
Rod screws are usually made, many repairers make them. It's not that difficult but it could have some tricky issues (e.g. if neither of two close diameters are exact, or getting the threads not too loose or too tight, etc.). It's pretty much necessary to do it with the key and instrument there with you to guarantee it is accurate.

For the pivot screws, for your model sax these are big ones with pilot style end (i.e. not pointed and parallel), right? Maybe you can find somoene who will give or sell you some but at worst case (how many do you need?) they can be made too.

·
Registered
206 Posts
According to this page:
http://www.ferreestools.com/Closeout Deals.htm
Ferrees actually *has* some Martin pivot screws! If you can find a tech who orders from Ferrees, you're set. They *also* say they've been using Bundy pivot screws as useable substitutes.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input, it really helps. The pivot screws are the pointed type, look rather ordinary but I don't know about the threads.

Does anyone know who I can go to to get the little pivot rods made up? I've mic'd them, have the dimensions (again, not sure about threads) and hopefully there is a tech out there who makes these up.

·
Registered
206 Posts
According to that Ferrees link, they're 3-48. Here's what Ferrees says about these original Martin (which, BTW are *not* pointed!) pivot screws:
"While the threads (3-48) and diameter of the shaft (.068") ARE the SAME, they ARE different, overall. The head is .160" dia. vs .125" dia. and the shaft is .240" long vs .162" long.
Over the years, I have used the Bundy pivot screw as a replacement, but, now you can use an original equipment part. The reproduction screws are sold at about $2.00 each."

See what that does for you!

·
Forum Contributor 2007-2012, Distinguished SOTW Te
3,314 Posts
Martin pivot screws for a "The Martin" will definitely be pointed. Your repair tech can get replacements from Kraus Music (they do not sell to the general public). Threads are still 3-48 but it would be much more economical to buy them than make them. Do not be surprised if some key fitting is required with the new pivot screws.

I believe the pivot screws in the Ferree's link are for Martin Handcrafts. They will not work for a Committee.

The hinge screws can be made very easily by any repairman.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician, Forum Contributor 2
1,760 Posts
I believe the pivot screws in the Ferree's link are for Martin Handcrafts. They will not work for a Committee.
Actually, the Ferree's screws are for 2nd-line horns like the Indiana, Imperial, Medalist, etc. Handcrafts use point screws.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts