Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do the techs here get your naphtha? I'm having a hard time finding a source for normal cleaning naphtha - all I can find is VM&P.

I need something to clean dirty key oil, lapping compound, and other oil-based stuff, as well as flux and contact cement. I'm open to alternatives if anybody has one.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Recosol R55, known as Shellite where I come from.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician, Forum Contributor 2
1,760 Posts
Ok, so what's the difference between Naphtha and VM&P Naphtha? I've been using the latter for many years. How is regular Naphtha better for cleaning?

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician, Forum Contributor 2
1,760 Posts
Ok, so what's the difference between Naptha and VM&P Naptha? I've been using the latter for many years. How is regular Naptha better for cleaning?
I asked Google and what I got was that VM&P Naphtha is manufactured for varnishing and painting and dries faster. It is more "refined" than regular naphtha.
I read in more than one place that VM&P is stronger and faster than regular naphtha. In other instances I read the VM&P is more of a marketing term to indicate that the product is suited for varnish and paint thinning but that regular naphtha is the same thing.

I'm not concerned that much, just curious. At least for me, the VM&P Naphtha seems to work fine for cleaning.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
I've only seen (and bought) VM&P Naptha. Oh and you can find it at any home supply joint, Wally World, etc. Works great for me.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Can't buy any in Ca.
Naphtha" is a general term, covering a wide variety of variations on the theme. You want "light naphtha" rather than "heavy".

If you cannot find it it must have another name. It is commonly used in industry, as a solvent that evaporates fast and leaves no residue.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petroleum_naphtha :

"Some petroleum refineries also produce small amounts of specialty naphthas for use as solvents, cleaning fluids, paint and varnish diluents, asphalt diluents, rubber industry solvents, dry cleaning, cigarette lighters, recycling products, and portable camping stove and lantern fuels. Those specialty naphthas are subjected to various purification processes.

Sometimes the specialty naphthas are called petroleum ether, petroleum spirits, mineral spirits, paraffin, benzine, hexane, ligroin, white oil or white gas, painters naphtha, refined solvent naphtha and Varnish makers' & painters' naphtha (VM&P). The best way to determine the boiling range and other compositional characteristics of any of the specialty naphthas is to read the Safety Data Sheet (SDS) for the specific naphtha of interest."

But some of these terms, eg paraffin, can mean other stuff as well, that is totally unsuitable - too oily.

Find a chemical supplier to industry and discuss your needs. Or just use lighter fluid , eg Ronsonol.
This is probably the right stuff. Test that it leaves no oily residue. https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/coleman-fuel-naphtha-0760044p.html

Light Naphtha?
Recochem Camping fuel: http://www.recochem.com/ca/products/outdoor_products/camping_fuel

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
If you can't find the VMP just get yourself a can of Zippo lighter fluid. It is available on eBay.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,782 Posts
Doesn’t have to be Zippo, either.

Lighter fluid (Zippo or not) = Naphta=VM&P= premium blend fuel all the same stuff

We call it wasbenzine in the NL and in italy Benzina Avio

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm not concerned that much, just curious. At least for me, the VM&P Naphtha seems to work fine for cleaning.
Huh. As I understood it, VM&P is more refined, evaporates more quickly, and is more expensive - the latter two would make non-VM&P better for cleaning, if any of that is true and if it still doesn't leave residue. But if techs here are using VM&P and nobody has any complaints then to hell with it, I'll just use that.

I'm using a can of Zippo fluid someone literally gave me right now, but I'll run out partway through the next alto I have to fool with, and even the Ronsonol is way more expensive than VM&P from what I'm seeing. I'll just get a gallon jug of VM&P and refill the handy little Zippo bottle out of that.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
924 Posts
Plus, it is good for removing all sorts of gooey messes around the house, stains in clothing, etc. Just avoid open flame.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Plus, it is good for removing all sorts of gooey messes around the house, stains in clothing, etc. Just avoid open flame.
And especially self-adhesive labels and the glue used for them (if it is not water soluble).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts