Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I was wondering if any one knew a source for rods ( looking for long rod, lower stack in particular) for a Mark VI, mid 60's? Did they have standardized sizes? Am working to manufacture replacement but curious about vintage source.

Thanks!
DB

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,232 Posts
Buy some drill rod and make your own. That's what wwe usuall;y have to do.
You may need a larger size than the original after 50+ years of wear.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,
Thanks for responding to my question. I did buy some rod stock from Ferees and have done one unsuccessful threading of rod with local repair guy I used to work for. I didn't ask if they had any vintage selmer rods left. I will definitely check on that.Does anyone else know of a source other than Ferees for different sizes of rod stock and small dies?

Thanks again,
DB

·
Forum Contributor 2007-2012, Distinguished SOTW Te
3,316 Posts
Trying to get vintage rods is not the way to go. First of all because an actual unused "vintage" rod will be hard to find, second because they are pretty easy to make, third because as was said before you may have to oversize it if there is wear in the keys and posts.

Was the threading unsuccessful because of your process, or because the post is stripped? If the post is stripped, you will need to make a bushing.

MSC or McMaster-Carr both have tap and die and I believe also drill rod. Allied Supply also has both. So does Votaw.

www.mscdirect.com
www.mcmaster.com

Allied Supply, 262-723-5455

www.votawtool.com

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
The hinge rods on the Mark VI alto I am restoring are .110" diameter. I don't know the thread size. By the time you order the drill rod and the die and a jewler's saw to cut the slot if you don't have one you will probably have spent more than it would cost to have a local repair tech make one for you. If you are doing this for the experience in addition to getting the rod you need, then go for it regardless of the cost.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Yep,

The rod is cheap and the jewelers saw is real cheap. But one of those little tap & die sets for threading the rod can be fairly expensive. If you only are doing this for one sax, having a shop make them will probably cost less. But I figure the break even point would be on the second job. So if you plan to do more of this, you might want to consider "tooling-up".

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,212 Posts
I have made these rods for several restorations. I probably have a used one sitting in my drawer. In fact I am sure of it. If you want a used one I will send it to you. If you want me to make up an over sized one (Usually .112 works for oversizing) I can do that as well but would probably have to charge. PM me if any of this interests you.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
1,863 Posts
If you want a decent job done get your sax to a tech.

If you are doing it yourself good luck it's not difficult - particularly if you have the right tools. If I were threading the rods I'd be using my lathe ( turned off) and have the die in a tailstock die holder so the thread will be "straight" on the rod screw, and then turn the chuck, with the rod secured, by hand.

I get my drill rod from this supplier: http://www.windplus.co.uk/supplies/hinge_screw_rod.html

they have 20 sizes between 1.9mm and 3.05mm

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
...If I were threading the rods I'd be using my lathe ( turned off) and have the die in a tailstock die holder so the thread will be "straight" on the rod screw, and then turn the chuck, with the rod secured, by hand.
Hear, hear!

And if you do not get your thread accurately co-linear with the rod, using this method or some other, then when you screw the rod in tight, the rod distorts inside the adjacent hinge tube and is likely to jam a well-fitting tube, as has been elaborated on in other threads by Clarnibass. So, as with most good sax work, there is more to it than meets the eye.

So...

... If you want a decent job done get your sax to a tech...
Hear, hear!

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,212 Posts
If you want a decent job done get your sax to a tech.

If you are doing it yourself good luck it's not difficult - particularly if you have the right tools. If I were threading the rods I'd be using my lathe ( turned off) and have the die in a tailstock die holder so the thread will be "straight" on the rod screw, and then turn the chuck, with the rod secured, by hand.

I get my drill rod from this supplier: http://www.windplus.co.uk/supplies/hinge_screw_rod.html

they have 20 sizes between 1.9mm and 3.05mm
+1 for the lathe - exactly how I do mine

1 - 11 of 11 Posts