Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Acquired an extra Link with a recent sax off CL but the lig was nasty. The original lig that came with my new Link STM, has the single thumb screw in front, is what I'd like to find for it. Anyone know where you might find these? Standard ligs are too big and I'm not fond of the leather Rovner type. Or, something else that would work as a second choice?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,962 Posts
Yes, we know them - many (including myself) will recommend a Selmer 404 ligature for this 'piece as the new Link ligs tend to be of lesser quality (aka "crap").

If you already have one that works, why not use it on the other mouthpiece?

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Dr G and ratracer for the link. I'll check out the Selmer, too. Want another lig mostly for convenience. I use my vintage tenor on the gig and my 62 mostly stays at home. If decide to sell the extra link it might be easier with the Link lig.

·
Banned
29 Posts
The Dr is right. The Selmer 404 does a great job, sounds better than the OEM and is easier to set up.

Your Pal Siggy

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,867 Posts
The Dr is right. The Selmer 404 does a great job, sounds better than the OEM and is easier to set up.

Your Pal Siggy
FWIW I like the stock lig better than the 404. Better sound, easier to handle. YMMV

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
For a single screw type, the FL works great on my STM. That said, it stays in the box vs the Selmer 404.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,444 Posts
I have an STM and a NY. Each with their own ligs. I thought the STM lig worked well and the NY lig didn't. However, on a whim I picked up a Rovner EVO-5 to check out. It seals the reed to the STM much better than the stock lig. Found out that the "flimsy" stock lig for the NY actually worked great. So, the manufacturing of the ligs are quite variable. When they work, they work well. When they don't seal well, the results are variable.

Go figure. It's always something.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,889 Posts
Francois Louis ultimate ligature fits stm links very well indeed the only problem is adjusting the mouthpiece but for the rest is very nice

1 - 14 of 14 Posts