Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tech recommends that I try to find a new neck but I don't know where to look. The sn of my 'crat is 342515 which puts it around 1951. Any ideas where to find one?

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,143 Posts
My tech recommends that I try to find a new neck but I don't know where to look. The sn of my 'crat is 342515 which puts it around 1951. Any ideas where to find one?
Did your tech say what's wrong with the neck you have on it now?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I have it. The issue is that although it is in good condition, it is not an original for this model. The collar is higher and is causing issues with the octave key working properly.

·
Banned
2,967 Posts
maybe i could also trade the neck you have....i do have the correct neck for your tenor...
cheers,philip

·
23,143 Posts
slisbin, why not let us know WHY your tech is recommending a new neck!? That might help us help you out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought I mentioned already but... He says that when I use the octave key it was not always moving the mechanism to open/close the pad on the neck. He modified the part on the sax that moves the neck mechanism by extending the pin up so it met up with ring on the neck better. He believes that this is why I am having issues.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Another thing that might help is that the problem (playing in a higher octave) occurs when I go from the lower register to D2 and also starting with D2. I have spent a lot of time on my breathing and can overcome this when I am very focused.

·
23,143 Posts
I thought I mentioned already but... He says that when I use the octave key it was not always moving the mechanism to open/close the pad on the neck. He modified the part on the sax that moves the neck mechanism by extending the pin up so it met up with ring on the neck better. He believes that this is why I am having issues.
This sounds like it's not the original neck, and not a neck with an octave key that fits properly. Is that the case? If so, and if the 'fix' your tech tried doesn't work, then sure, that's a good reason to find the proper neck for that horn, or at least one where the octave key works.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,224 Posts
Another thing that might help is that the problem (playing in a higher octave) occurs when I go from the lower register to D2 and also starting with D2. I have spent a lot of time on my breathing and can overcome this when I am very focused.
So basically from D2 to G2 something is still funny and you have to adjust your blowing to get those notes out ?

It could also be that the tension on the neck key is not sufficient to make the body octave key engage properly. Once again, the neck - being unoriginal - may not have the correct spring weight to counterbalance the body pip mechanism, thus the body pip is not opening the way it should on D2-G2.

Nicest thing is to always have an original neck for that model (actually the fact as to whether the neck is original to the particular horn is really a lotta hooey). So if you can get a 156 neck, you'd be set (this might require some tenon adjustment by your tech - a 5 minute endeavor of a repair).

Short of that, you could try to find a Bundy or Bundy II neck, as I believe these fit Aristocrats. But getting the 156 style would be preferable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts