Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 10M from a guy with a nice horn collection who was terminally ill. I picked up a silver 10M with RTH for what I thought was an amazingly good deal, even though it had a few issues and needed some work. Well, two months later I got the work done and started playing it and realized something was off. I have another 10M so I know which mouthpieces work for it, but for some reason they were not playing in tune, just a little off. It was ten that it dawned on me that the neck was not an original 10M neck. When I bought it I noticed the neck looked different but it was the same silver plate as the horn bidy so I shrugged it off, thinking it was just a different style Conn did. Turns out it's actually a Buescher TT tenor neck and that's why it's not playing right, in fact it must be because I put the neck from my other 10M on i and it started playing in tune.

Ironically, I just saw a silver 10M neck come and go on ebay. I'll probably never see another one. Any advice for me?

Also, are the 10M necks the same as the earlier Conn tenor necks like the Chu Berry and the Pan Ams? Stencils?

·
Banned
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that one on ebay was not a conn neck!

10M necks are similar to the chu-berry.
pan-am's are usable with a 10M like a chu-berry neck is also.
Are the necks of the non-RTH 10M's the sames are the RTH 10M's? I'm of course excluding the later 10M's with underslung octaves and sleeved necks.

·
Banned
566 Posts
yes,that neck on ebay was not a conn neck.
there are differences in the RTH and some of the non RTH necks,the earlier ones had a roll at the cork end.

·
Banned
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again. Do you think a Conn Stencil tenor neck would work? I'm guessing they are the same as the pan am horns. I see them sometimes in rough shape, but the entire horn cheaper than just a 10M neck. There's a guy down under selling 10M necks for a lot of money, offered me only $100 for my Buescher TT neck (it's in great shape.) He's clearly offering pawn shop prices so he can flip things for a profit. I'm thinking I'll list it instead, and hold out for a Conn stencil with silver plate.

·
Banned
566 Posts
probably a pawn shop would give you $5 for a sax neck, if anything at all.
10M necks are worth a whole lot more than a true-tone neck.
panam necks and older conn necks will work on a 10M.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,986 Posts
yes,that neck on ebay was not a conn neck.
there are differences in the RTH and some of the non RTH necks,the earlier ones had a roll at the cork end.
Ahh, yes it wasn't a 10M neck. Immediate way to tell: the octave pip on 10M's is the inverted cone type, thin walls...as opposed to common type which is a drilled hole in an oftentimes shaped pip piece.

Also...I was gonna say that one could have been a PanAm or 16M neck...but livingdream is correct - the neckbrace on Conn necks is not actually a STRAIGHT wire, but rather a CURVED wire.

This one had a straight wire.

Yeah I already talked to that guy. He offered me a hundred in trade for the TT neck. Might be worth it, but I'd really rather have a silver one to match. I'm holding out for an old Conn stencil in rough shape that isn't worth fixing up but still cheap enough to buy just for the neck. Thanks again.
That ISN'T a BAD deal, $100 plus the Boosh neck.

Honestly, the likelihood that you are gonna stumble across a silverplated Conn 10M fixer horn and manage to get it for a reasonable sum...is almost nil.

You may find a 16M or PanAm silverplate fixer, or even a NWI....which would work.

(I would buy the body from you if all you wanted was to keep the neck)

But IMHO...it'd be easier to just get a 16M/PanAm in lacquer, and have the neck plated....any jewelry or trophy plating facility could do that to a delacquered brass neck.

·
Banned
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ahh, yes it wasn't a 10M neck. Immediate way to tell: the octave pip on 10M's is the inverted cone type, thin walls...as opposed to common type which is a drilled hole in an oftentimes shaped pip piece.

Also...I was gonna say that one could have been a PanAm or 16M neck...but livingdream is correct - the neckbrace on Conn necks is not actually a STRAIGHT wire, but rather a CURVED wire.

Honestly, the likelihood that you are gonna stumble across a silverplated Conn 10M fixer horn and manage to get it for a reasonable sum...is almost nil.

You may find a 16M or PanAm silverplate fixer, or even a NWI....which would work.

But IMHO...it'd be easier to just get a 16M/PanAm in lacquer, and have the neck plated....any jewelry or trophy plating facility could do that to a delacquered brass neck.
Yeah I figured I wouldn't find a 10M silver plated neck, but I do see ratty old Conn tenors now and then, and Conn stencils that are silver plated. I'm thinking I could probably find something like that cheaper than I could have a neck stripped and plated. Any ideas there? Did Pan Ams and stencils have the same necks as 10M's, except for the octave pip?

·
Banned
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Looks like it got returned, and now it's a Martin neck. LOL
https://www.ebay.com/itm/392171985266?ul_noapp=true

1 - 13 of 13 Posts