Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching for a used modern Meyer 7M alto mouthpiece, but cannot find any online for a good price ($50-$70).
I plan to buy one used and send it to a refacer.
Does anyone know what sites offer the best deals? I tired Reverb, but the prices are still too high for this specific mouthpiece and just when I found a good deal and paid, they refunded me because they couldn't find the mouthpiece in the warehouse.
Also, I haven't been on the forum or posted enough to unlock the marketplace here :(
Thanks!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you are going to have it refaced, why specifically a 7M?

You may need to expect to pay a bit more.
Well a 6 M or 7 M I guess, I wanted the tip opening to be around a .080... what tip size opening would you recommend to send for refacing if I want a .080 final result?

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,907 Posts
Well a 6 M or 7 M I guess, I wanted the tip opening to be around a .080... what tip size opening would you recommend to send for refacing if I want a .080 final result?
Why not just buy a Meyer 7, that is more or less .080 so no need to reface.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why not just buy a Meyer 7, that is more or less .080 so no need to reface.
I thought the point of refacing was allowing a professional to modify the facing and the baffle to sound differently/better than a factory made mouthpiece... in my case, I'd like it to be refaced like a vintage NY Bros Meyer, not just open it up

EDIT: There's a big discussion about this topic in the Jazz Mouthpieces under $200 thread or whatever it's called

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,907 Posts
I thought the point of refacing was allowing a professional to modify the facing and the baffle to sound differently/better than a factory made mouthpiece... in my case, I'd like it to be refaced like a vintage NY Bros Meyer, not just open it up
Generally I would get a refacing if the mouthpiece is not giving me what I want. e.g. I want it brighter, or more wide/narrow tip, different length of lay, chamber adjusted. But I'd first need to know what is lacking with it out of the box, then know what it is I want it changed to.

So say you get a Meyer, and you like it, and subsequently then get it refaced without being able to describe what can improve it - you may or may not still like it. After a reface, it's very unlikely you'll ever get it back to what it was.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Generally I would get a refacing if the mouthpiece is not giving me what I want. e.g. I want it brighter, or more wide/narrow tip, different length of lay, chamber adjusted. But I'd first need to know what is lacking with it out of the box, then know what it is I want it changed to.

So say you get a Meyer, and you like it, and subsequently then get it refaced without being able to describe what can improve it - you may or may not still like it. After a reface, it's very unlikely you'll ever get it back to what it was.
Ah, fair point I didn't think about that. Also, I was looking on the forum and realized someone already asked this question and has a multitude of responses, very sorry!

·
Premium Member
15,479 Posts
MJKPOLO,

I have a Meyer 7 alto here that I would be happy to send you as a gift.

Just cover the shipping.

Its got a tooth mark on the beak, but that doesn't bother me at all when I play it, because its up a bit higher than I keep my teeth.
Other than the toothmarks, its in fantastic shape.

Happy to help you out.

Just email me at: [email protected]

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MJKPOLO,

I have a Meyer 7 alto here that I would be happy to send you as a gift.

Just cover the shipping.

Its got a tooth mark on the beak, but that doesn't bother me at all when I play it, because its up a bit higher than I keep my teeth.
Other than the toothmarks, its in fantastic shape.

Happy to help you out.

Just email me at: [email protected]
Wow thank you so much!! I will email you right away

·
Premium Member
15,479 Posts
Hi,
Now that I see that you are in the states, I will take care of the shipping too.

Enjoy the mouthpiece and let us know how it comes out if you get it refaced.

All the best, Mark

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Nice gesture, Mark.

FWIW, many fail to realize that in addition to the tip-openings on Meyers, there are the issues of facing length and chamber size (both issues are marked on the mouthpieces). I have posted about this before and you, mjkpoilo, should keep it in mind.

The standard alto Meyer (by standard, I mean the one you will likely see in stores and which many players reference) is the 6M-M, meaning a 6 tip-opening with a medium length lay and a medium chamber. However, years ago when I was in the market for a Meyer mouthpiece, I tried several and ended up with a 6M-M and a 6S-M (in fact, two 6S-M's). Then, I bought a 7M-S. Out of all of those, I MUCH preferred the 6S-M's.

After all these years, I STILL don't know why those different combinations matter - I've never been able to isolate those different factors (and conclude how the various combinations work together) to reach a conclusion as to what those differences mean. All that I know is that I preferred the 6S-M over all others - and the differences for me were significant. Of course, you may reach a totally different result. DAVE

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Interesting, I am pretty oblivious to these things, and generally when buying a mouthpiece, I just get the one that played the best for me that day. I'm excited to try sending it to a refacer, and if that doesn't work for me, that's ok, it'll be a good experience to try.
Thanks Dave!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,933 Posts
Interesting, I am pretty oblivious to these things, and generally when buying a mouthpiece, I just get the one that played the best for me that day. I'm excited to try sending it to a refacer, and if that doesn't work for me, that's ok, it'll be a good experience to try.
Thanks Dave!
Welcome to the world of mouthpieces, mjk. One of the bits of advice that I learned a long time ago - I think it was from Phil Barone - was to start with two good mouthpieces. Then send the #2 mouthpiece for reface/chamber work in the quest for making it your #1. You don't send away your best piece until you have a better piece.

If you're smart, you'll stop after only one or two mouthpieces, and not get caught up in acquiring mouthpieces for the next 20+ years as some of us have done!

·
Premium Member
15,479 Posts
Marco,
The mouthpiece was just sent USPS priority mail.
I sent you the tracking number.

Enjoy!!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Welcome to the world of mouthpieces, mjk. One of the bits of advice that I learned a long time ago - I think it was from Phil Barone - was to start with two good mouthpieces. Then send the #2 mouthpiece for reface/chamber work in the quest for making it your #1. You don't send away your best piece until you have a better piece.

If you're smart, you'll stop after only one or two mouthpieces, and not get caught up in acquiring mouthpieces for the next 20+ years as some of us have done!
That's fantastic advice, thanks! My main that I'm keeping is a v16 6M, and it plays pretty great, so I was accidentally following that advice already!

Marco,
The mouthpiece was just sent USPS priority mail.
I sent you the tracking number.

Enjoy!!!!
I definitely will, thank you again!

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Thanks Dave!
The longer you play, the more things you learn. Mouthpiece knowledge is worth learning about. Get to know your baffles, chamber sizes, facing lengths etc. Fun stuff.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,933 Posts
The longer you play, the more things you learn. Mouthpiece knowledge is worth learning about. Get to know your baffles, chamber sizes, facing lengths etc. Fun stuff.
Then, once you find a mouthpiece that works for you, stop obsessing and buying, and play the thing! :twisted: :bluewink:

Been there, done that.

Seriously. You'll get a lot better just by playing. Invest in lessons and reeds.

I had a great mouthpiece several decades ago (a Florida Link that I selected from a few dozen new mouthpieces) - I should have stopped there, but noooooooooooo... :shock:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
I suspect those who bought one mouthpiece and stuck with it are the exceptions, not the rule. I too have gone down the path seeking out horns, mouthpieces, reeds, ligatures - all of that stuff that we like to opine about and obsess over. I don't regret it though. Sure, I've spent more money than one would think prudent, and I still have a closet filled with unplayed instruments, boxes filled with mouthpieces, ligatures, caps, etc. But so what? I've really enjoyed the chase - and I still enjoy revisiting all of that stuff.

Yes, I have bought the mouthpiece that played the best that day, only to fall out of favor with it down the road. But no harm, I can afford it. One such piece (a new-when-I-bought-it) Selmer Airflow C* for soprano) I recently re-discovered it - after 60+ years of residing in my soprano mouthpiece box. Good piece after all.

However, I am NOT a high schooler any longer (far from it) and I have funds for such folly. My advice to you is don't do what I did but what you can afford - a critical issue for most youngsters these days (or any day for that matter). When I was your age there was no SOTW. I got my advice from local pros, my teacher, and music store commandoes. Some of it solid, some of it not so solid. I survived and so will you. DAVE

·
Registered
718 Posts
1 - 20 of 34 Posts