Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son's teacher recommended to get a new mouthpiece for a bari. He's currently using a borrowed mouthpiece.

When upgrading his tenor/alto, we went to the local stores and tried several different size/makes and chose what he liked. However, many of the most accessible local stores that stock MPC has closed shop in the past year (booo!!!!). We'll be making calls to see if there are hidden stores in the area, but it seems likely that we have to do the online thing.

I know wwbw.com, but they don't even list the size of the maker that the teacher recommended (Meyer Rubber 6). Which are the other reputable online dealers that allow "trial and return" policy for mouthpieces?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi there, I’m not sure at all if I’m the right person to advise you in this! As an amateur player, my level is probably right. You did not indicate what is your price range? The problem with music stores is that they don’t carry all the brands and not all the tip openings. Therefore, it is not easy to try them out.

I’ve got Selmer S80 D, Otto Link TM 6 and Mayer 7 (ebonite). They are all great mouthpieces to play. Those I’ve had for 40 years already. Lately I felt that I wan’t to try something new and ordered a Rico Metalite M7 to see how high baffle mp play. I was amazed how well it played (with Rico 2.5 orange box reeds. I was not so happy with Vandoren Java 3.0 red). The thing with the Rico is that it is very cheap! So, I believe that your son will not be disappointed with the Mayer 6. It is a great mp, but there are endless possibilities. I also heard good things about Bari ebonite mp’s, but I have never played one.

I have experience with sax.co.uk and Musician Friend. Both are good. I think that sax.co.uk does not have return policy, but not 100% sure. Some manufacturers, like Jody Jazz (I think) do have return policy if you order the piece directly from them.

I hope that helped??

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts
I know wwbw.com, but they don't even list the size of the maker that the teacher recommended (Meyer Rubber 6). Which are the other reputable online dealers that allow "trial and return" policy for mouthpieces?
Yes they do.
https://www.wwbw.com/Meyer-Hard-Rub...iNho3qSWktOWEa8eWm6CohchORJPDalgaAveJEALw_wcB

Meyers reputation for QC consistency isnt that great so mail ordering a Meyer is traditionally a bit of a lottery (but maybe its got better recently, I dont know) Vandoren V16 would be pretty similar design, and they have a better reputation for being made consistently. They are a few bucks cheaper too.
https://www.wwbw.com/Vandoren-V16-S...thpiece-463139.wwbw?rNtt=vandoren v16&index=2

(EDIT) Oops, sorry, I missed the detail that its a Bari mouthpiece the OP is looking for....

·
Forum Contributor 2008-2017
351 Posts
My son's teacher recommended to get a new mouthpiece for a bari. He's currently using a borrowed mouthpiece.

When upgrading his tenor/alto, we went to the local stores and tried several different size/makes and chose what he liked. However, many of the most accessible local stores that stock MPC has closed shop in the past year (booo!!!!). We'll be making calls to see if there are hidden stores in the area, but it seems likely that we have to do the online thing.

WW&BW does have the 6, its justed listed separately from the other facings: https://www.wwbw.com/Meyer-Hard-Rub...932000000000.wwbw?rNtt=meyer baritone&index=2

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
I don't know about baritone, but in the alto Meyers, I always caution that there are a variety of design-combinations, just not the tip-opening (for which Meyer uses a number . . . in this case a "6" means tip-opening) to be concerned about. There is also the chamber size (Meyer stamps that on the bottom of the barrel - "SMALL CHAMBER", "MEDIUM CHAMBER", etc.); and the length-of-lay, which is designated in the daimond-shaped surround on the table by the use of S, M, and L (although I've never seen an L).

SO, if you see a 6-S-Medium Chamber, realize that it will be somewhat (or maybe even significantly) different than a 6-M-Small Chamber. Just choosing a Meyer 6 is only a part of the picture. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,933 Posts

There are a great many SotW members in the Bay Area. Could you list the shops that have tried? Perhaps our membership could help you find others in the area that you could try. Are you willing/able to try shops anywhere in the Bay Area (both sides)?

For an on-line option, check out Ron Coelho (RPC): https://saxmpc.com/baritone.html

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've ordered mouthpieces on trial from Weiner with good results, he's a SOTW member:

https://shop.weinermusic.com/Returns.asp
I've bought from them as well and that's where I would look first. Their website indicates they do have a Meyer 6 bari mouthpiece in stock. They will also beat any other retailer's price if you ask. Also, unlike WW&BW, they are not owned by Guitar Center.

·
824 Posts
the teacher recommended (Meyer Rubber 6). Which are the other reputable online dealers that allow "trial and return" policy for mouthpieces?
FWIW my favorite Bari piece is a Meyer 6m, with my Soloist Long Shank C* a close second (I've never seen a short shank Soloist Bari, but apparently they do exist), as others have said, everyone has a different mouthpiece that works for them, but a Meyer would probably be a safe bet. I bought mine used, so I could probably re- sell it if I decided that it wasn't for me,
and +/_ break even.

Maybe keep an eye on EBay for one?

Here's a recent example (I have no connection to the seller)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-ME...007087&hash=item469ca31d45:g:1QkAAOSwbxFdcbVf

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all for the info! wow. strange now that I do see Meyer bari 6M on wwbw (WHY would they list #6 separately from #4, #5, and #7???). but I will look at other online sources suggested here as well... (and yes. teacher is recommending medium chamber)

Interesting about the Meyer QC. it seems to show the inconsistencies in the reviews. grr. that is why I prefer trying it out at the store. budget is around $200, since that seems to be the going rate for hard rubber MPC for bari... (if it's cheaper and good item, I have no complaints).

We might try both Vandoren V16 and Meyer 6M as a comparison starting point. and wow. price is all over the place depending on the store! yikes!

local stores that closed are Bronstein's (now is repair only.. they may have some MPC lying around. I'll have to call. we got the Rousseau JDX for the tenor there), and B Street (lessons and rentals only now... we got the Otto Link HR for alto there before they closed the store). I'll have to call Saxworx to see if they carry Meyer or Vandoren hard rubber...

I know of Hornucopia, but they seem more brass-centric when i call regarding sax needs... but I'll try to call there too and see if they have stuff to try..

·
14,268 Posts
Don't forget European internet dealers like Matthews Muziek in The Netherlands. Of course, I don't know about returns but if you are comfortable in buying wthout first testing, they are cheaper than U.S. stores. DAVE

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,910 Posts
Don't forget European internet dealers like Matthews Muziek in The Netherlands. Of course, I don't know about returns but if you are comfortable in buying wthout first testing, they are cheaper than U.S. stores. DAVE
AFAIK all UK stores would have a legally binding 14 day return period

ie 14 days from receipt of mouthpiece, buyer pays return shipping unless not as described.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Matthew’s does have a return policy. One can “avoid” return shipping, or at least part of it (depending on actual shipping cost) by paying with PayPal after having previously signed up for the return shipping refund program. The program is free and covers 12 returns per calendar year for a max of $30 per return. I took advantage of it when I tried out some soprano saxophones from Matthew’s a couple of months ago.

However, Matthew’s does charge a base rate of about $30 to ship out (they will work with buyer to lower it depending on how much the buyer is buying). That shipping cost is something the buyer will have to eat regardless of whether they keep or return the item(s).

When I wanted to buy some Oleg risers from them I decided. It to because when the $30 shipping was factored in (the risers are relatively tiny objects that would’ve fit in a very small box) the aggregate cost became more comparable to prices from some US merchants. However, when I was trying out the saxes (I ended up buying one), they waived the shipping costs t ship to me.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Only advice I have on this one is to buy the Meyer 6 if that is what your son’s music teacher wants you to buy. Only other option is to take your son’s music teacher with you when you go shopping.

It is not that the Meyer 6 is the best for your son, but music teachers sometimes have egos and things just work out better when you try their recommendations first.

Seems like you have several recommendations for purchasing online.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,910 Posts
Only advice I have on this one is to buy the Meyer 6 if that is what your son’s music teacher wants you to buy.
I agree. You need to have a relationship with the teacher so better to get what he/she recommends . I would just clarify what it is exactly, as has been mentioned metres may also have different versions of the 6: ie chamber size or facing length so get the teacher to specify what is the actual recommendation.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alas, we got hold of a used Meyer 6M, but it's a tad too open for him at this stage.. so we'll be looking for 5M to try... (FYI, there is one chamber size option for Meyer Bari mouthpiece.. so only choice is tip opening). At least when he's ready to go up a size, we'll have one handy :p

and to be fair to the teacher, he did say Meyer 6M.. or 5M.. and doesn't have an ego :) based on his current borrowed MPC (.110) we thought the 6M would work, but I guess not (shows how opening dimensions don''t dictate everything!)

since Vandoren V16 B5 (the smallest) has opening of 2.55mm (~.100in) and Meyer 6M is like 0.098 and they "are similar", I assume V16 B5 is probably going to be too open.

anyway.. back to hunting for Meyer 5M now! hopefully a local shop will have it on hand to try. if not, we'll have to do the online thing and hope we get a "good" one to try...

·
3,310 Posts
Too open in what way? Could it just be a question of finding a reed that matches the facing better is hes having a hard time with (for example) getting the low notes to speak?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Too open in what way? Could it just be a question of finding a reed that matches the facing better is hes having a hard time with (for example) getting the low notes to speak?
Don't know exactly, but he has various reed strengths 2, 2.5 and 3 with various manufacturer samples we've collected over the past few weeks. He said that he's tried several different strengths and types (he's been experimenting with reed) and concluded it's too open. He's been playing alto/tenor for 6 years and bari for about 6 months (casually) before this school year (more serious changeover), so I trust he knows what works for him or not. I can ask... I don't play woodwinds, so I have no clue (I play keyboard)

·
3,310 Posts
Don't know exactly, but he has various reed strengths 2, 2.5 and 3 with various manufacturer samples we've collected over the past few weeks. He said that he's tried several different strengths and types (he's been experimenting with reed) and concluded it's too open. He's been playing alto/tenor for 6 years and bari for about 6 months (casually) before this school year (more serious changeover), so I trust he knows what works for him or not. I can ask... I don't play woodwinds, so I have no clue (I play keyboard)
It sounds like he knows what hes looking for. I was just covering the bases:) There is bound to be an adjustment period stepping to a larger opening, No doubt he will work with his instructor on what the next step should be.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
As a Bay Area resident, albeit a lazy one, I too recommend Weiner Music. They usually have all sizes in stock. The problem with the stores that I trust here is that their stock is quite limited, though I suppose a Meyer 5M or 6M would be easy to find. I remember going to House of Woodwinds and having 4 or 5 Meyers of a single size to try. Even then (back in dinosaur times) things varied between mouthpieces quite a bit.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts