Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read an interesting article today that I thought would be of interest to others on the forum. It described a very top-level history of how saxophones have lost their appeal in modern music given their popularity over the ages.

It will be interesting to hear the general sentiment of saxophone aficionados here on the forum.

·
Forum Contributor 2014-2015
886 Posts
It's an interesting article, but I'm not the least bit concerned about the saxophone in popular culture and whether it has a place in modern pop music. Perhaps the fact I only listen to folks such as Charlie Parker, Dexter Gordon, and Joe Henderson let alone Donald Sinta, Clifford Leaman, and Claude Delangle says something about my musical interests. I love the saxophone, but not enough to listen to "music" just because there's a saxophone featured in it. Thanks for posting the article!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,589 Posts
I saw that too. If you search on the article, it appears to have been first published April 25, 2017. Not much change in the years since, tho'.

Thanks for posting the link.

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
1,206 Posts
I read an interesting article today that I thought would be of interest to others on the forum. It described a very top-level history of how saxophones have lost their appeal in modern music given their popularity over the ages.
I posted a related article here a few months ago. It makes many of the same points, but also highlights some recent resurgence (some of which happened after the article you linked to was actually written).

·
Registered
307 Posts
That's it..........I'm quitting.....The sax isn't cool anymore. I'll pick it back up when that dude who wears mummy bandages on his face and can't sing uses one on one of his smash hits....

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,054 Posts
Honestly. If I had to do it all over again I would have mastered the piano. Those guys get all the gigs all the time!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
That's it..........I'm quitting.....The sax isn't cool anymore. I'll pick it back up when that dude who wears mummy bandages on his face and can't sing uses one on one of his smash hits....
For those of you who don't realize the comment above was meant as irony, check out the 3 minute mark in the video below:

You can start playing again.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
That ain't your grandma's music, for sure. I can't imagine Frank Sinatra or Gene Kelly .... yeah, well....enough. Modern music sucks and I don't think it's just because I'm older. That's probably the reason today's kids listen to our old music from the late 60s and 70s.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,589 Posts
For those of you who don't realize the comment above was meant as irony, check out the 3 minute mark in the video below:
I couldn't listen to that long enough to get to the "good" part. Thanks for pointing it out.

Reactions: Dave Dunn

·
Registered
307 Posts
I couldn't listen to that long enough to get to the "good" part. Thanks for pointing it out.
Wait, Wait, Did you not HEAR me, The girl dances with the head of the weekend (Friday night?) Turn the sound down, forward video to 4:13 and GROW A PAIR!!!!!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
That ain't your grandma's music, for sure.
It could be for some of our younger members. The first time I really listened to this guy's music was during the recent Super Bowl, and it immediately brought to mind 80's-era Michael Jackson.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
saxophone, flutes and lil' bit of clarinet
7,272 Posts
It’s not just the sax. Very few guitar solos in the top 20... or trumpets or ? Everything is computerized.

·
Registered
Couf Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Bari
105 Posts
I've had a number of private students that started college as music performance or education majors. 75% changed majors to music production. It's much easier (when you've grown up with computers) to "make music" on a keyboard. It's heartbreaking to me.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It could be for some of our younger members. The first time I really listened to this guy's music was during the recent Super Bowl, and it immediately brought to mind 80's-era Michael Jackson.
Yeah - when he first starts singing I thought he was doing a cover for Michael Jackson too. But the reason I hadn't heard of this guy until the superbowl was because of his name: "The Weeknd" name get's lost in any part of a sentence because I think they are taking about either last or coming weekend.
Not a fan of the music - certainly not a fan of the violence in video that our kids grew up on either but it matches the video games. (sigh)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It’s not just the sax. Very few guitar solos in the top 20... or trumpets or ? Everything is computerized.
You're so right.
I have a very good friend - one of the best guitarists in the 70's that toured with headline bands like the Everly Brothers Band and other top recording artists. He taught me guitar which allowed me to earn a few pesos in nightclubs in that same decade. He was taught by George Benson at one point.
Up until Covid, he was performing a few nights a week in lower NY but supplementing his income creating backing music for singers that he knew from the industry. This led to putting tracks together using a lot of computerized music making software and hardware. Most of his business comes from Hip-Hop artists for the last 5 years or so.
One of the nicest guys you'll ever meet and an amazing talent just moving with the trends to stay alive...

1 - 20 of 65 Posts