Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have lost one of those little buggers!

The threaded part is just under 3 mm thick, the total body length from the tip of the point to the underside of the head is almost 9mm, head of the screw is 1.5mm thick and 4mm wide.

I can only assume those will be near impossible to find, so has anyone ever taken a regular screw and made it fit? If so, what did you start out with?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,600 Posts
I had a tech fabricate an oddball screw from a 1950's semi-rare Leblanc clarinet while I waited. He took one of the remaining screws, did a calculation as to thread pitch, etc. (it didn't correspond to anything he had seen) and he put some rod stock on a miniture lathe and had the screw fabricated in a few minutes. Charged me a twenty, which I considered a bargain.

I know from a Keilwerth project I did that some of the thread pitches used in the 50's are no longer standard, so it could be that fabrication is your best bet. Sure does save time if you find the right tech.

He then showed me a trick that I have used several times. He felt around in the case to make sure that it hasn't fallen out and gone into a little seam in the padding. Sure enough, he found it, so now I have a spare.

If you think you may have lost it at the workbench, I've used a powerful magnet to find stuff (like Conn pivot screws) that I would have never located by sweeping, etc.

Mark

·
Registered
36 Posts
I assume you have a similar one elsewhere on the instrument for comparison. I have found that manufacturers and suppliers will sell only to licensed repair shops. However, your shop could probably find one that is fairly similar (but a hair larger in diameter) and rethread the post to accept it. I had to have something similar done to my Kohlert clarinet when a shop worked on it and replaced the throat G# hinge rod with one with threads that were too small. A good shop can make replacement rods and pivot screws as needed. You just have to be willing to go in with your tail between your legs or come up with a good story.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks like fitting a larger screw might be my best bet. I don't have a tech around here so I will have to check a bit further out and see who can do this. I wish I had a good story! Frankly I have no idea how it got away. I had all springs, screws, rods and several snapped off posts in one box and now all that is missing is one screw. Maybe it was one that was left on the body and fell out while I was working on it. I will have another look, but since I have worked on it several years ago and then put it away until recently, it might be gone forever.

20 bucks for that screw indeed sounds like a bargain because without it, it ain't playing!

Thanks guys

1 - 5 of 5 Posts