Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a high school student who just ordered his first turntable online, I am in desperate need of a store where I can find vinyl. I'm not really sure what is local, but does anyone have any suggestions as to online stores where I can find classic jazz vinyl? First on the list is Getz/Gilberto, then maybe Maiden Voyage.

I'm also planning a trip to Richmond, VA soon, so if anyone knows of any cool record stores in that area that'd be awesome!

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
stores are better...ebay is a problem because you cant be sure of the condition..unless you buy from experienced dealers...and generally then the price is high...plus you need to add shipping...
i highly recommend the Kind of Blue 50 year anniversary boxset...comes with a blue vinyl 180 gram pressing,,,that can be found on amazon or ebay

·
Distinguished SOTW Tech/Forum Contributor 2007
983 Posts
if you ordered the turntable online, do you have a phono pre on your amp? some of those those cheap turntables are generally not so good, vinyl sound better but needs to be on a decent table with a decent phono pre. with turntables, heavier is better...

the technics 1200's with a decent cart are a good starter table and almost indestructible ... and will sound as good or better than a lot of the lower end higher end tables... like rega and music hall etc... also the old duals and the old AR turntables with plastic arms are good. as are the old philips or anything heavy... decent older tables can usually be found on craigslist for not very much money...

i buy a lot of records on ebay... if you shop smart, they are generally good. also watch out for those sealed bluenote reissues, they are generally lousy pressings, and often show up warped...

enjoy the vinyl. also check thrift stores and salvation army stuff, you will find a lot of weird stuff cheap, its a good way to check out all sorts of stuff you might not feel like paying 10 bucks for on a cd.

you can get a lot of new records from www.musicdirect.com

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got an Audio-Technica LP-60, I've seen some pretty good reviews around and my friend has one which sounds pretty nice. I'm not sure if this is what you're asking, but the turntable itself comes with a built in pre-amp I believe.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,210 Posts
I've had good luck scrounging through 'Antique' shops. You'd be surprised what you can find in those places.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
I remember rejoicing around 1983 that I would never have to listen to a phonograph again. Now the hipsters are nostalgic for not only vinyl, but cassettes <sigh>

·
Registered
711 Posts
Amazon.com has lots of jazz albums on Vinyl.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,210 Posts
I remember rejoicing around 1983 that I would never have to listen to a phonograph again. Now the hipsters are nostalgic for not only vinyl, but cassettes <sigh>
At least it's not for 8 tracks! OMG... :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
When I moved almost 20 years ago I gave away my entire vinyl collection, classical and jazz. I've been able to replace almost everything I had on vinyl with CD's or downloads from iTunes. My entire collection is on my ipod and the sound is good enough
for me when played through a good audio system at home or in my car. I was glad to get rid of those scratchy, worn vinyls.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
Thrift shops. One of my sons has more than a thousand records, almost all found a thrift stores. Check your nearest metropolitan area or large college town. There are record stares here and there than specialize in vinyl, new and used.

And I'm not sure, but Best Buy may carry some vinyl.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
And you still don't. So why rain on this parade?
It's my nature.;)

When someone starts down any 'audiophile' path, people tend to spend money on equipment, then decide that the equipment makes the 'best' sound, even though many can't tell the difference in equipment---mainly because of the $$ outlay on equipment of an older, and oftentimes, more expensive designs--like tube amps, high end turntables, and loudspeakers that, instead of being balanced and giving a good reproduction of the recording, hypes the frequency content, or introduces some sort of distortion, or even worse, find that they enjoy distorted sound more than they like the real thing.

I'm waiting for someone to start collecting CRTs and sell them claiming that the pictures are 'warmer'.

When I got into sound, it was to hear or create the best fidelity I could. I'm saddened that this is no longer the case.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
SaxMoose, Google "Richmond, VA, record stores." Looks like there are several selling vinyl.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
discogs but you're better off going to any record and cd fairs that may infrequently occur in any decent sized city or barring that a good second music & book store.
Buying online has its problems especially with vinyl which is both fragile and quite heavy in shipping costs when there's a more than a few discs involved.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
i watch a CRT TV and laserdiscs...havent watched a DVD in over half a year...at least

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
...oh yeah, i bought 3 of Dizzy's tv's at his auction for 5 bucks!!!!!

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
i watch a CRT TV and laserdiscs...havent watched a DVD in over half a year...at least
If it's SECAM or PAL, it probably looks pretty good. NTSC just sucks.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts