Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find this hard rubber berg larsen anywhere on the internet where there is a good return policy. wwbw.com had them but ran out. Where can I try this mouthpiece online?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,978 Posts
You might want to check the trade board in the Marketplace here. Bergs are often listed for trade and/or sale. Although there's no returning a traded piece, you can simply offer it for trade for another should it not work out. You weren't looking for a 125/3 M tenor piece were you?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Yazzman said:
im looking for something like a 100/0 to use with vandoren java 3 or 3.5 .

That's for alto I assume? That's a pretty low tip opening for that baffle configuration if you're looking for a tenor piece.

If it's alto, I might be able to hook you up. Let us know for what sax!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I need a berg for tenor. you are saying 100 is too small of an opening for that baffle? That is the same as getting a 7 for otto link, doesn't seem small. And if it is too small, what are the consequences, an edgier sound maybe?

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
ThunderWhale said:
That's for alto I assume? That's a pretty low tip opening for that baffle configuration if you're looking for a tenor piece.
What kind of baffle configuration does a Hard Rubber Berg have?
I'm familiar with the metal Bergs but I wasn't aware that the HR Bergs had the same configuration as the metal. Do they or is it something different?

·
Registered
451 Posts
gary said:
What kind of baffle configuration does a Hard Rubber Berg have?
I'm familiar with the metal Bergs but I wasn't aware that the HR Bergs had the same configuration as the metal. Do they or is it something different?
I guess what I said came out wrong. Rubber Bergs should have the same baffle as metal, unless it is a "2" chamber (the exception).

What I ment to say is:(I forgot to add "in my opinion") generally, high baffle pieces work better with larger tip openings than you play on a roll-over baffle style. I guess I'm just used to playing around .110+ on high baffle tenor pieces. I play a 90/2/m Duckbill Berg as my main alto piece, it measures .094. This "2" baffle piece works fine, but I can play the same reeds (Java 3) on "0" baffle pieces of larger tip openings(I tried a .105 Berg alto a while ago, it had the same "blowability").

In my experience, high baffle pieces are easier to blow with larger tip openings. OBVIOUSLY, your mileage will vary! ;)

·
Registered
451 Posts
I should add, you could just ignore my first post, because it came out wrong.

I'm sure there are some stores or local players in or around the San Diego area where you can try out some Bergs. Don't quote me though, I'm not very familiar with the area. Trying out a bunch is the best choice. Bergs are notorious for having VERY inconsistant facings. I remember reading a post the other day where some SOTW member went and tried a box full of Bergs (over 10) of the same opening/baffle/facing, and they all visually LOOKED different, they were that inconsistant.

I'm deffinitly convinced that once you find a good Berg, it can be a keeper though! I am now a believer with my alto piece.! Don't believe Phil Barone when he says Bergs are all complete trash. Some are gems. Many famous players play Bergs, infact I'd go on a limb and say Bergs are the second most played piece next to Links on tenor. Myself though? I play a Barone Jazz on tenor, and plan to keep it until I'm on my death bed. But, to each his own.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
No, no I'm not disagreeing. I just thought that the Berg HR were more like a HR Link or Meyer on the inside - I really don't know, hence the question- in which case a .100 wouldn't necessarily be too small. For comparison, I've got a metal Berg 104/2/SMS which is a good size for me.

Adding to your second post, Thunderwhale, my 104 actually is marked 105 but was somewhere around a 90. I had it opened up to almost it's original marking. How lame a quality control is that?!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts