Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am from Ottawa, Canada. I will be visiting New York city in a few weeks. Could you advise me on a store that has a good selection of Yanagisawa saxes?

Thank you.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
2,063 Posts
Why go to a music store when you can buy any Yani on the internet? Places like Saxforte, Kessler, WWBW, USA horn. Now that I think of it USA horn is in New Jersey, just across the river from NYC. If you shop around a bit, you should find a price that you would be happy with. The inernet has really hurt the retail music stores. Its almost foolish to walk into a music store and pay full retail on a horn when there are lots of online retailers charging competitive prices. Just my two cents. Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Roberto's Winds on 46th Street should have some in stock (at least, they are listed on their website). Good to call ahead and check their availability.

That's it as far as NYC goes, I think. I had this same question a while back concerning Yanis.

Honestly, your best bet would be USA Horn in Union, NJ (which I know the previous poster mentioned). Union, NJ could almost be considered a suburb of NYC. Check out their selection at www.usahorn.com. Best of luck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I am looking for a store where I can try a few models including the sterling silver ones. It is difficult to do with online stores considering the customs and duties barriers from US to Canada.

·
Registered
552 Posts
JEB said:
Thanks. I am looking for a store where I can try a few models including the sterling silver ones. It is difficult to do with online stores considering the customs and duties barriers from US to Canada.

That would be roberto's

·
4,567 Posts
pc1234 said:
Really? That'd be a new (and promising) development. New or used?

I was there about 8 months ago and I played a couple of new Yani Sopranos. I saw That they had a couple of altos and tenors, but not sure if they were new or not, however I am positive the sopranos I played were new.

·
4,567 Posts
Simon Weiner said:
My store is located about 30min outside of Manhatten. You can jump on a train and we can pick you up anytime between 10-6. Let me know what your looking for exactly and i can see if we have it.

Just Curious for future reference Where are you located?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sonnymobleytrane said:
I was there about 8 months ago and I played a couple of new Yani Sopranos. I saw That they had a couple of altos and tenors, but not sure if they were new or not, however I am positive the sopranos I played were new.
Thank you

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
sonnymobleytrane said:
Just Curious for future reference Where are you located?
I believe they are out on Long Island. I've always wanted to check them out. Talk about customer service! Nice. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts
JEB said:
There is no duty on importing horns, but I guess you knew that and were refering to the sales tax and handling/ borkerage fees.

Theres a chance you will get stung for the tax when returning to Canada with a new horn anyway. Still, finding a good selection to play is reason enough to go, and the exchange rate makes it worthwhile anyway right now I guess.

Good Luck:)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Simon Weiner said:
My store is located about 30min outside of Manhatten. You can jump on a train and we can pick you up anytime between 10-6. Let me know what your looking for exactly and i can see if we have it.
Thanks. I am interested in some of the silver series eg 9933.

·
Forum Contributor 2007-2012, Distinguished SOTW Te
3,314 Posts
I am the ww technician at Sam Ash on 48th, and we have no new Yani altos at the moment. We get them in every once in a while- I've tried getting them in on a permanent basis, but it seems our buyer is more interested in, ahem, other stuff. Call ahead to check if you are coming by for a Yani. I think as of right now we only have a tenor- MAYBE a soprano, but I'm not sure. No altos though.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
abadcliche said:
I am the ww technician at Sam Ash on 48th, and we have no new Yani altos at the moment. We get them in every once in a while- I've tried getting them in on a permanent basis, but it seems our buyer is more interested in, ahem, other stuff. Call ahead to check if you are coming by for a Yani. I think as of right now we only have a tenor- MAYBE a soprano, but I'm not sure. No altos though.
Thank you. I will call in advance.

JEB

1 - 17 of 17 Posts