Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
SOTW Interviews/Editor, Distinguished SOTW Member,
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"This is Arthur's Blues, recorded in France with George Cables, David Williams, Carl Burnett...it is spectacular and...just the ultimate in great blues... a tribute to Central Avenue and the Club Alabam. Where Art Pepper learned to play the blues." Laurie Pepper
bonus to Episode Fourteen, by Art Pepper

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,578 Posts
read arts book straight life and you will know how he learned to play the blues. its called heroin. it ruined most of his life

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,675 Posts
Thanks Neil, for posting this. I look forward to checking it out. Art Pepper is one of my favorites. Very soulful player!

·
Registered
VI Soprano, Searchlight Alto, TH&C Tenor
1,370 Posts
Great stuff. (Was Pepper the model for the Coy Harlington in Pynchon's Inherent Vice?)

·
Premium Member
1,967 Posts
read arts book straight life and you will know how he learned to play the blues. its called heroin. it ruined most of his life
That's\ a very interesting comment. Not sure how to take it. Regarding the book, the first time I read, when it was first published, I came away very disappointed. My impression was that he loved heroin and prison more than music. It seemed that the book was not about the music as much, though there was one really interesting description of the Meets the Rhythm Section session. However, having read it again recently, i have an altogether different impression. I'm struck by the book's honesty and forthrightness. it is a true document, and it sounds like the way he played, honest and to the point, etc. I admire it.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,675 Posts
However, having read it again recently, i have an altogether different impression. I'm struck by the book's honesty and forthrightness. it is a true document, and it sounds like the way he played, honest and to the point, etc. I admire it.
I think your second impression is right on the mark. That was my impression when I first read his book, shortly after it was published. I really enjoyed the book for the same reasons you state on your second impression. Sure, there were some gritty and sad events, but overall the book was as real and straightforward as it could be. And all very interesting.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,578 Posts
agree -its a very honest book and he dosnt hold back

·
Registered
292 Posts
Thanks for this link. I really enjoyed this. I played along with him. Its so economical, just blues, but patient and has his usual sweet painful sound.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts
testing

·
Registered
565 Posts
Glad the link still works. Art Pepper played everything from blazing bop to soulful blues that gives me goosebumps. His late recording of Here’s that Rainy Day is one of the most emotional recordings on sax I’ve ever heard.
thanks for pointing out this link.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts