Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Future Music Educator
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, there's a bunch of us on here that are going on to college for music...whether it be music ed, performance, combined, therapy, technology, etc etc.

Where are you all going to school for this? I am going to Mansfield University, a state school here in Pennsylvania which is very well known for it's music program, but maybe not as widely known as some colleges (like Ithaca and Oberlin) due to the fact that it's a state institution.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,933 Posts
JPSaxMan said:
... a state school here in Pennsylvania which is very well known for it's music program, but maybe not as widely known as some colleges (like Ithaca and Oberlin) due to the fact that it's a state institution.
I think you may have cause and effect confused. If it is not well known, that is not due to the source of its funding - it is usually a reflection of the success of its programs. Need an example? Let's try some name recognition to see whether any state institutions are well known (regardless of what programs they are known for)...

University of California

UNT

Penn State

·
Future Music Educator
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok Dr. G, good point...however, I've found that the music program at Mansfield is at least equivalent, performance wise to some of the more "well-known" schools that I've visited/researched. Otherwise I wouldn't be going there :D.

Anyone else on where you all are going to school?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm a student of Phil Barham's at Tennessee Tech University. It's a small, undergraduate-only music department, but Mr. Barham's one of the greatest teachers you could ever possibly dream of. He's got a bachelors from North Texas, and a masters from Michigan. He's one of the best middle-of-the-road teachers I've seen. We've all got to do legit and jazz, and we have to be burning at both.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I am at the University of North Texas (UNT). Jazz Performance major ... www.music.unt.edu or www.jazz.unt.edu ... check out the site. Great school here, and it's real cheap as well! Let me know if you have any questions. There are a bunch of people on the forum that can vouch for UNT.

·
Future Music Educator
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lol...good answer Andrew, haha.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well, to keep this thread going, I'll let the cat out of the bag. Next year, I'll be attending Central Michigan University in Mount Pleasant, MI. The saxophone teacher there is Professor John Nichol, and he's one of the most amazing teachers I've ever met, and to top it all off, he's an even better human being. Anybody in Michigan (or even other states) who is considering a music major should definitely look into CMU, because it is an excellent school, especially for the saxophone.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I will be attending Clark Universtiy in the fall and I will be studing with James Allard and I am looking to major in Music Performance in addition to History.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I am finishing up at the New England Conservatory. I am completing a masters in jazz performance and a masters in jazz composition. It is an incredible school, I would suggest it to anyone.

·
Banned
2,206 Posts
andrewb said:
You obviously have not lived in Davis for 17 years.
Your response is quite cryptic to say the least! Please explain. :)

I did go to UC-Davis's website and see that they have a music program. So what's up?

I'm sure UCLA is better and all that. I just couldn't help but notice you live in a city that is home to another one of California's fine educational institutions.

·
Banned
2,206 Posts
OK, I get it now. Davis is boring, and you're 17. I keep forgetting how young you all are. :)

I guess it's all relative. Right now I'm living in a "prairie town" a little west of Chicago. This winter we suffered through two straight weeks of double-digit below-freezing temps. I was out there about 6 years ago, and came close to Davis on a trip from LA down to Tiajuana. If I remember, it's near, if not on, the coast, which doesn't sound too bad right about now, though it did finally hit the 70s here today--in late April. Now come May we'll probably be getting 90's. That's the Midwest for ya--you go right from winter into summer anymore.

·
Registered
138 Posts
UC Davis is a good school, just not especially for music. Both of my parents work for the music department...there IS a music department, and it's not horrible, just small. I have been studying with the saxophone teacher at UC Davis for a very long time too. He's a great teacher. I applied to Sacramento State, about 20 minutes away, where he teaches as well. This is where I would go if I was staying close to home- it has a much more developed music program.

In terms of the city itself...it's not the most exciting place. Davis is nowhere near Los Angeles or the southern border of California. It's close to Sacramento, the capital. It's about a 7 hour drive from LA, and its not near the coast at all. We're in North CA, not Southern CA.

It rarely gets close to freezing in the winter, and snows about 6 hours every 12-15 years. In the summer, from June to September, it's often over 100 degrees, and almost always over 90 during the day.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts