Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search, not there. Did a google search with "sax on the web", and found one from 2017 that never happened. I know I've posted in 50M threads? I mean, like in the last couple months? Man, search functions and data management seems to be a mystery to most all forums these days.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,885 Posts
I think there should be some search tutorial somewhere to show people how and where to search. I find it incredible that people find so many problems to search.There is never been any search problem for me.

I too find, with no problem and very easily (sorry musekatcher this is not a rebuff in any way nor am I trying to be a smart equine ) many many threads by simply putting Conn 50M in the appropriate search box. (on this link if you press on the orange boxes at the bottom left you find more and more pages..)

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/gtsea...=www.saxontheweb.net/&ref=&ss=3508j2317276j10

The one I have used for years is this one at the top of the page
https://www.saxontheweb.net

View attachment 243458

·
Administrator
17,296 Posts
Pete and Milandro, your links don't show results for me.

Muskatcher, you can easily find threads with '50M' in the title like this:

1. Click on the top right part of the screen on 'Advanced Search'
2. Type '50M' in the field 'Keyword(s)'
3. Select 'Search Titles Only' in the check box directly right of field 'Keyword(s)'
4. Click on 'Search Now'

This returns 15 threads to me with '50M' in the title.

·
38,885 Posts
They still do do to me and they show way more results (299) can’t explain why you don’t see it.

I would still recommend my method as it shows way more results (CLICK TO EXPAND twice gives you a very large image)

View attachment 243482

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
50M Frenchmen can't be wrong!

or

For De Mille, young fur-henchmen can't be rowing!

Did you ever do the Kenosha Kid?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Did a search, not there. Did a google search with "sax on the web", and found one from 2017 that never happened. I know I've posted in 50M threads? I mean, like in the last couple months? Man, search functions and data management seems to be a mystery to most all forums these days.
I've found it easiest to just pull up GOOGLE.COM and skip SOTW's search features altogether. To find posts which have the term CONN 50M it'd look like this

Navigate to GOOGLE.COM
Enter the following into the dialog box provided by google

conn 50m site:saxontheweb.net

If you want it to be more specific, change the above to include quotes around the term you're searching

"conn 50m" site:saxontheweb.net

That should give you a good start. Have fun.

·
Administrator
17,296 Posts
Pete and Milandro, your links don't show results for me.
They still do do to me and they show way more results (299) can’t explain why you don’t see it.
Milandro, here on my PC at home your link also works for me (earlier today at work it didn't, which might be related to internet filters, firewall settings and/or the other browser used at work).

I agree about the crappy SOTW standard search options, google search options are way better.

·
38,885 Posts
Aa I as demonstrated many times before with my method, I have searched without any problems for years.

I have been asked by many members to do it for them and I have never done anything supernatural, just did what I described above.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Aa I as demonstrated many times before with my method, I have searched without any problems for years.

I have been asked by many members to do it for them and I have never done anything supernatural, just did what I described above.
And yet, we get different results - or - we don't have the same criteria for a successful search. All the searches offered aren't recent. Most all of them have latest posts that predate my membership, lol.

I found the thread by looking back thru my old posts. My post was on 9/16/19 in this particular thread. Yet, that thread doesn't show in any of my searches, nor the ones offered here.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,947 Posts
And yet, we get different results - or - we don't have the same criteria for a successful search. All the searches offered aren't recent. Most all of them have latest posts that predate my membership, lol.

I found the thread by looking back thru my old posts. My post was on 9/16/19 in this particular thread. Yet, that thread doesn't show in any of my searches, nor the ones offered here.
Although in many cases the Google SOTW search (either via the box in the header depending on the forum style or via a Google site: search) may well be different geographically and also depend on what Google has chosen to index. Either it may take a ew days for a thread or post to get picked up in Google or else Google will ignore certain threads due to duplicate or minimal content.

The latter is a very good reason to not keep starting new small threads about exactly the same thing, it is always best to ask a question within a thread that already exists for that topic. (Thanks to milandro for pointing this out frequently - but people don't seem to take the advice very often)

Likewise it's a bad idea to aks irrelevant questions within an existing thread, go off topic or add loads of +1 type posts - all of these are the enema of the modern Google algorhythm.

Theoretically the Forum search should work better if it is configured properly and any plugins involved are kept up to date:

Product Digital Point Sphinx Search is out of date.
Installed Version 1.2.3
Latest Version 1.2.9
New In v1.2.9

Updated for Sphinx 2.2.x compatibility

New In v1.2.8

More updates to work with vBulletin 4.2.2

Utilizes Digital Point Marketplace automated brand removal API (for those with a branding-free license)

New In v1.2.7

Updated for vBulletin 4.2.2 compatibility

New In v1.2.6

Better handling when site has no non-searchable forums

New In v1.2.5

Updated Sphinx API used to 2.0.6
Don't load Sphinx API if it's already been loaded by something else
Negative search should work properly
Parsing of .conf file should work when PHP is in strict standards mode
Give friendlier message in Admin if searchd isn't running
Updated for PHP 5.4

New In v1.2.4

Fixed issue where disabled content types would still partially show as an option on advanced search
Fixed issue when site used uppercase table prefixes
Better handling of words with hyphens in them
Intercept request made from post activity widget and correct its sort method
Thread searching works properly with exclusions by forum ID

·
38,885 Posts

Well, If one wants one’s post you can add your name to the search it greatly helps, the more you narrow the scope of a search the more you will find.

There are 43 hits with Conn 50M Musekatcher all of which show your posts. Google shows different things to different people but not so different that I am any special

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/gtsea...www.saxontheweb.net/&ref=&ss=7515j11839467j17

click twice to expand

View attachment 243548

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Although in many cases the Google SOTW search (either via the box in the header depending on the forum style or via a Google site: search) may well be different geographically and also depend on what Google has chosen to index.[/I]
Absolutely. Google's search engine tries to guess what each user is looking for using hundreds of "signals," which can include the user's region, language, search history, operating system, local time of day, etc. In other words, when searching the web, YMMV.

·
38,885 Posts
google knows what I am looking for before I do

·
Registered
600 Posts
50M Frenchmen can't be wrong!

or

For De Mille, young fur-henchmen can't be rowing!

Did you ever do the Kenosha Kid?
Did you ever!!! Do The Kenosha Kid.
Did you ever do the Kenosha, kid?

It's all in how you parse it.

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
Did you ever!!! Do The Kenosha Kid.
Did you ever do the Kenosha, kid?

It's all in how you parse it.
There aren't many of us who get the joke.

There once was a thing called a V-2
To pilot which you did not need to
You just pushed a button
And it would leave nuttin'
But stiffs and big holes and debris, too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts