Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
It seems like everybody's talking about the greatness of the 82-Z horns, but you hardly hear anything about the 875-EX horns. So how about it? I LOVE mine. It's got a great all-around sound from top to bottom, very even tone throughout the range. The response is quick, and daggone, it's one pretty horn. It's worked for me in classical, concert band, and jazz ensemble settings (as both lead and 2nd alto), and honestly, I wouldn't trade it for the world (for now anyway)

Let's hear your experiences with it.

·
Forum Contributor 2010 & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,945 Posts
I have an 875-EX soprano in silver plate. I have had it since November.

Read about my impressions of the horn here.

Steve

p.s. I love it even more with the Super Session I I just picked up from fellow SOTW'er Enviroguy

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
I've had my YAS-875EX since mid-2003, and love it. It's a good all-round sax, perfect for every playing style, contrary to the comments that some people seem to make about it being a specifically 'classical' sax (and the 82Z being a specifically 'jazz' sax).

Those who have tried it always remark on how easy it is to play, and usually comment that 'the bottom notes speak as easy as the top notes'. Some find it too heavy in weight and others find it bright of tone, though they never have any gripes on how it plays or it's intonation.

Though there are some people I know that think it's got no life or character to it (as they say is the same with all Yamaha saxes) - not a fair comment considering they have never played one (an 875EX) to pass any genuine criticism, and they themselves aren't exactly the best players to judge it's qualities.

I'm not giving mine up - and I'm STILL waiting for the YBS-875(EX) to arrive - if it betters my trusty YBS-62 which itself is a hard act to follow, then I'll bag one as soon as they hit our shores!

·
Forum Contributor 2010 & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,945 Posts
Chris Peryagh said:
I'm STILL waiting for the YBS-875(EX) to arrive - if it betters my trusty YBS-62 which itself is a hard act to follow, then I'll bag one as soon as they hit our shores!
I'm down with that, Chris!

Steve

·
Registered
121 Posts
is the ex supposed to be similar to the 875 custom, before they split the series? i've got a custom from 2000 and it's da bomb. favorite horn i've ever played hands down.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I have a:
YAS875EX in Gold Plate
YSS875EX in Lacquer with a Gold Plate Neck.
Best horns around!!!

Chris... Be patient. There will be a major new force to reckon with in the world of Bari Saxes very soon... but thats all I can say.

Steve P

·
Registered
137 Posts
Steve P said:
Chris... Be patient. There will be a major new force to reckon with in the world of Bari Saxes very soon... but thats all I can say.
So...you can't even say how long "very soon" is? Cause new instruments coming out can take a notoriously long time.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
4,370 Posts
As far as I'm concerned 875EXcellent says it all. You see quite a few Z's on ebay, but not many EX's. Maybe we're just too busy enjoying them to brag on them? Steve P- does the gold neck make much of a diff, especially on soprano? I've been thinking about trying a gold plated G1 on alto, but $489 is a lot of dough!

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
Well, they're not EXs, but I have both an 875 Custom alto and Tenor. Sweet horns.

·
Registered
78 Posts
the best

Hi

I have had a black customex875 tenor for about 1 year. I tried every top pro horn available (several of each) as well as a good mark6. The 875ex won the day because of great sound, great keywork, and the easiest horn to speak at the bottom end. The Selmer Ref 36 came a close second.

I have never regretted the choice and matched to my link the sound just sends me to heaven... having said that I thought the 82Z had a more modern projecting sound, but I prefer the more traditional dark sound with plenty of body.

I love it

Tenor 875exb with link and Lois ligature
Alto 90*** Mark 6

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
4,370 Posts
dmcneill said:
Hi

I have had a black customex875 tenor for about 1 year. I tried every top pro horn available (several of each) as well as a good mark6. The 875ex won the day because of great sound, great keywork, and the easiest horn to speak at the bottom end. The Selmer Ref 36 came a close second.

I have never regretted the choice and matched to my link the sound just sends me to heaven... having said that I thought the 82Z had a more modern projecting sound, but I prefer the more traditional dark sound with plenty of body.

I love it

Tenor 875exb with link and Lois ligature
Alto 90*** Mark 6

Please say hi to my mom and dad if you see them in Heaven.......:angel4:

·
Registered
575 Posts
I bought my YAS-875EX two years ago this month. Don't tell me I can't play jazz with this axe!!!

I've owned and played a YAS-61 for more than 30 years and love that horn too (and so I kind of know the 82Z...). I tried the 82Z and the 875EX before buying my EX and as great as the Z is, the EX is one monster axe! The EX is EASIER BLOWING and FASTER than the Z. In fact, I found the Z to be a bit stuffy in contrast to the EX (when played side by side). I can get an excellent jazz sound from the EX, yet still play other styles. I can play bright, dark, jazz, classical, fusion.

The thing is, the 875EX is versatile... it's much about the rigging. With the right rigging, you can do anything... including produce a great jazz sound.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
JoeJazz,
While on soprano the gold plated neck does make a bit of a difference to my ear, i find the biggest difference in response.

On my alto, since the entire horn is Gold Plated, I felt the sound was much richer than my previous lacquered 875, and the response is absolutely amazing.

Steve P

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Also, about 'very soon'. I mean very soon in a non-selmer paris way (how long have they been saying very soon about the SIII bari...?) :)

Steve P

·
Registered
86 Posts
Just bought a YSS-875EX

Thanks for all your posts and advice!

I could not resist and tried a YSS-875EX at Washington Music Center in Wheaton, MD...WOW what a horn. I could not be happier. WMC is a super place to try and buy saxophones too.

Now I add this to my YAS-875EX.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey guys,

Should be getting my YAS-875EX in the next week or so shipped from the US:) (ozwinds). Just wondering if anyone knows any 'recommended' setups for this instrument.

Currently i am playing a YAS-275 alto w/ selmer C* + Vandoren classic 3s for classical and a Meyer 5M with the same reeds, both with different plates from a vandoren optimum ligature.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 31 Posts