Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What happens? Slower response? Fast notes more difficult to articulate? I havea mpc that I like a lot but the the tip is not accurately shaped as the tip of the reed. I can't articulate cleanly and swiflty with it, especially in the lower register and I wonder if this is the cause of the problem...
About two years ago I asked Ed Zentera to reface a different mpc for me and I found it interesting that he asked me to send a reed along with it, which I did. Then he matched both tips very precisely.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I've had mouthpieces that didn't exactly match the curve of the reed tip. They worked. Maybe they would have worked better
if the tips matched. I'll never know.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
About two years ago I asked Ed Zentera to reface a different mpc for me and I found it interesting that he asked me to send a reed along with it, which I did. Then he matched both tips very precisely.
Any thoughts?
Did it help?

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
It's an interesting question, but no real way to know just how far out it was. I personally haven't had any articulation issues as a result of a slight reed mismatch. That said, I've never tried a bari reed on an alto (exaggerating here more than a bit), so maybe I don't know. It's pretty common to push the reed past the tip if it's a little soft, pull it back a bit if it's a little hard, so unless the mismatch is pretty severe, I'm not convinced it makes a big difference -- at least for me. Others may differ.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I bought a new production Otto Link STM NY 7 which had quite a few problems, including a very uneven tip leaving the reed exposed on one side and hidden on the other. I sent it to Doc Tenney to perfect it and I was surprised that he did not deal with the tip asymmetry at all! However, the mouthpiece is now excellent, way better than any other Link I have tried, and has been my main piece for quite a long time now. Since Doc did not care for it, I don't think this imperfection is important.
Thank you Mr Tenney!!!

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
Refacing in a lot of ways is like tuning up a car engine. If you do one little thing you may not notice any improvement but if you make several improvements, they often add up to a significant improvement.

I think matching the tip curve of the mouthpiece to the reed does help with articulation and response.

One test you can do for yourself is to shape a reed to match the mouthpiece. This will probably make the reed a little stiffer since you are trimming it to shape. So you need to account for that. Start with a softer reed or sand the end thinner.

·
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did it help?
yes, definitely, but Ed also did some other work, so I'm not sure it was the tip thing only that solved the playability problem.

·
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think the OP is saying he didn't know what portion of the change was due to the reed matching, and which due to the rest of the reface work.
Exactly, thanks.

·
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One test you can do for yourself is to shape a reed to match the mouthpiece. This will probably make the reed a little stiffer since you are trimming it to shape. So you need to account for that. Start with a softer reed or sand the end thinner.
Now, there's an interesting idea. Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts