Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When someone inquires on a horn and spends most of the time bragging about themself

I've had a couple recent inquiries on horns I have for sale and as soon as I get on the phone with the person, all they do is start telling me about how great of a player they are. They always seem to drop names like "the time I hung out with Brecker" and stuff like that. They also talk about all the gigs and recordings they've done and all the endorsement deals they have and stuff like that. I just humor them and sell them the horn if they want it, but I was wondering if anyone else runs into this? It's kind of entertaining, but also a huge waste of time.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,580 Posts
What's your number? I can call and tell you about the time I peed in a urinal next to _____

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,592 Posts
This happened to me once with a forum member. I'm pretty convinced that he thought he could dazzle or perhaps intimidate me into selling him the horn for much less than it was worth. He even tried shaming me into thinking the horn wasn't as nice as it was by making me think he was doing me a favor taking it off my hands and I should be happy to even be talking to him. Ego sucks.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I've had this happen more than once over a number of years selling horns here on the forum and elsewhere. Most of the time it's:

Potential Buyer: "I'm offering you 40% less than your asking price."

Me: "No."

Potential Buyer: "Look man, I know my stuff. I saw Brecker live. I've toured my hometown with my cousin's Steely Dan cover band. Coltrane came to me in a dream one night and we jammed. I studied with Phil Woods' best student's student. I know my stuff, and the horn isn't worth what you're asking."

Me: ". . . ."

It used to annoy me. Now I just kind of pity people who behave in such a way. I wonder if it ever works for them.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
It used to annoy me. Now I just kind of pity people who behave in such a way. I wonder if it ever works for them.
Judging by the stories I read in the news every day, it works for a lot of them just fine. Other people, not so much.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,263 Posts
oh no, I think you are describing me...though I usually reserve my name-dropping for "impressing" sax repair persons...hey, it's just to overcompensate for my bad playing. Oops, here I am squatting on this thread while bragging.

I had a guy come by last year in response to a Craigslist ad and he bragged about himself for about a 1/2 hour and then blasted my horn at full volume for another 1/2 hour...I think he was just lonely - it turns out he already had the same model sax and had no intention to buy.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Some guys just like to hang out and talk about their interests with other people. I think you are right. He's just lonely and needed some human contact. I'd never brag about my playing because I'm not that good. I'm not even what I'd consider mediocre. I do like to talk about instruments and stuff when I meet a repair tech or go to the music store to buy reeds etc. Guilty, I guess. My wife knows nothing about music except she likes most of it. Can't talk with her about gear. She actually thinks I play pretty good. Shows what she knows.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,962 Posts
oh no, I think you are describing me...though I usually reserve my name-dropping for "impressing" sax repair persons...hey, it's just to overcompensate for my bad playing. Oops, here I am squatting on this thread while bragging.

I had a guy come by last year in response to a Craigslist ad and he bragged about himself for about a 1/2 hour and then blasted my horn at full volume for another 1/2 hour...I think he was just lonely - it turns out he already had the same model sax and had no intention to buy.
If he was playing guitar, the tune would have been Stairway.

Ever been to a Guitar Center in a major city?

******s...

W***er - one who ****s

1 - 10 of 10 Posts