Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 15 ft away and it was close enough to almost knock me off my feet. It was almost out of the blue, I saw it brewing and tried to get the dogs inside before it started. Killed my computer, my modem and left me with a few hours of pin-prickly feeling in arms and legs tha turned into some tingling (and a few cramps in between) and finally went away. Didn't keep me from playing last night's gig, supercharged, electrifying .... no, really, my hands felt a bit sluggish and I still had some tinnitus but it worked out ok. Quite the experience

:evil::evil::evil:

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
About 15 ft away and it was close enough to almost knock me off my feet. It was almost out of the blue, I saw it brewing and tried to get the dogs inside before it started. Killed my computer, my modem and left me with a few hours of pin-prickly feeling in arms and legs tha turned into some tingling (and a few cramps in between) and finally went away. Didn't keep me from playing last night's gig, supercharged, electrifying .... no, really, my hands felt a bit sluggish and I still had some tinnitus but it worked out ok. Quite the experience

:evil::evil::evil:
You were very fortunate. Believe it or not, how you are standing relative to the electrical field can mean life or death. A large voltage differential across the body, say, between legs can be very bad. Count your blessings: you live to play another day.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You were very fortunate. Believe it or not, how you are standing relative to the electrical field can mean life or death. A large voltage differential across the body, say, between legs can be very bad. Count your blessings: you live to play another day.
Yes, I am fully aware of that, rule #1 is to keep your heels together but it was really out of the blue, totally unexpected. And Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
1,324 Posts
A couple of years ago I was setting up for a gig in a marina under a tent. Lightning struck the mast of a big cruiser boat about 50 feet away. No warning, and it wasn't even raining. The mast came down crushing the cockpit, and there were large black burn streaks all over the boat. Absolutely terrifying. My ears were still ringing the next day. I found out later that the boat was totaled. It melted all the wiring, cooked all the electronics, and the battery exploded, showering the engine compartment with acid. I can't believe it didn't catch fire.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
yes, glad you're ok, and did you actually see the flash? I was walking by a series of 3 story buildings last summer and one of the roofs was hit by a strike. I've never actually felt sound move things quite like the thunderclap that followed it...

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes, glad you're ok, and did you actually see the flash? I was walking by a series of 3 story buildings last summer and one of the roofs was hit by a strike. I've never actually felt sound move things quite like the thunderclap that followed it...
I was facing the other way but still saw it, sort of, like everything getting really bright. Also, the thunderclap was not one solid boom, more like a high frequency staccato for a fraction of a second and I never heard or felt anything like that either.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
7,614 Posts
I'm glad you and your dogs are OK.

We have a lot of thunderstorms here in Florida. I've learned to watch the sky.

Also when the computer is not being used, or if I hear thunder, it gets turned off and unplugged. Computers are replaceable, some data is not.

Insights and incites by Notes

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm glad you and your dogs are OK.

We have a lot of thunderstorms here in Florida. I've learned to watch the sky.

Also when the computer is not being used, or if I hear thunder, it gets turned off and unplugged. Computers are replaceable, some data is not.

Thank you, sir! Well, everything was turned off and behind a massive surge protector but the jolt must have gone in through the DSL line (only the DSL ports of the modem and one of the LAN ports were fried) and propagated through the Ethernet cable. Everything is up and running again albeit with a totally different system configuration built from spare parts. Turns out Win 10 is really good at reconfiguring everything even going from a dual socket AMD server to a single socket Intel consumer board. Even the original Win7 activation key was accepted without a hitch and the only thing that was a bit cumbersome was the e-licensers for the different programs which took a few hours to repair.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
26,352 Posts
I got a humongous batterie for backup power many years ago. It's long since become useless except it's a great buffer for power surges. So, I'm safe as long I don't get directly struck. ;)

·
7,614 Posts
Thank you, sir! Well, everything was turned off and behind a massive surge protector but the jolt must have gone in through the DSL line (only the DSL ports of the modem and one of the LAN ports were fried) and propagated through the Ethernet cable. Everything is up and running again<...snip...>
That's why I unplug from the AC power source.

Many years ago I went out to lunch. I shut everything down but while waiting for the computer to turn off I got dressed and forgot to unplug. The modem was attached to the phone line and through a surge protector and the gear was plugged into a surge protecting UPS. A T-Storm came through.

When I got back from lunch an Akai S-900 sampler was fried, my printer was fried, and the USB port of my computer no longer worked. The phone was out too.

Speaking of phones, in the early 1970s I took a job at the phone company, trying to see what normal was (I found normal is soooo overrated for me so I went back to music full-time). I had electronics in college so after a short stint as an installer they sent me to repair (The title was I-R - installer repairman).

I got to a house where lightning had hit. The medal flashing around the eave melted and dripped to the hook that the phone drop wire used to attach to the house. The drop wire from the house to the pole was still there, but there was no copper in it. The lightning protector on the side of the house was missing, there was a black spot were it was, and a black line where the ground wire used to be. Pieces of the protector were found on the chain link fence in the back yard. The wire from the protector to the phone strung outdoors was hard as a wire, with drips of copper and colored insulating plastic dripping out.

In side the house there were too holes in the bedroom above the bed that had been blasted. Apparently it was an old house and they used wire lath to plaster the ceiling as the wire showed. They people said they were sleeping when it hit and they woke up thinking the ceiling was falling on them and they might die. The phone was an old-fashioned, 1950s era, full-sized, dial wall phone like you see in the movies these days. There was a little soot on the dial but otherwise from external inspection it looked fine. Popping the cover off revealed a melted phone inside.

Fixing that one was a bad day for this I-R guy. We were supposed to fix one house an hour, this one took me many and I fell behind in my quota. The faceless corporate jerks didn't like that so the pressure was on.

But I had some good days in the phone company too. All in all, a bad day at playing music is still better than the best day being a telephone I-R.

I still unplug every time I leave, overnight, and when thunder is heard. I haven't had a problem whenever they were unplugged.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hear you loud and clear. Whenever I am away for a longer time, I unplug things. In this case though, it was an isolated lightning bolt out of almost blue skies. There was a t-storm rolling in but it didn't start until about 15 min later. And I wasn't the only one caught by surprise. Usually I am pretty sheltered, there are a number of high trees in the vicinity of the house and I am at the slope of a hill, with a sizable church across the street and up the hill so I get a lot of water (a good thing in Colorado) but not that much lightning.

Speaking of wire lathe, my old Victorian house in Jersey City was like that and it still had the knob and tube wiring :)

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
In this case though, it was an isolated lightning bolt out of almost blue skies. There was a t-storm rolling in but it didn't start until about 15 min later.
The good news is if you now glow in an electroluminescent fashion, you won't need a stand light. :compress:

·
7,614 Posts
Getting caught by surprise sounds like the day I went to lunch and forgot to unplug. Sometimes things just happen.

I suppose if you have Cable TV, it would be a good idea to unplug the TV when not in use. Like the phone or the modem, there are two separate ground potential, one from the power, the other from the phone or cable. If lightning hits one, it's not impossible to find a better ground through the other, and your gear is in between.

When I worked for the phone company back in the early 1970s, I saw a chart showing the frequency of lightning strikes across the USA. The most lightning strikes per year were in an oval shaped area between Tampa and Palm Beach Florida. We are in the gradient right next to it.

Notes

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,600 Posts
The first time I was hit by lightening I was fishing with my Dad in the Broughton Islands on the north end of Vancouver Island. We were out in an aluminum boat when a big black cloud came towards us. The wind picked up and we saw lightening hitting the water a few miles away. Given that we were the tallest thing on the water, we headed for shore, which was mostly rock cliff. I found a rock pile and ran the boat into it, getting out without bothering to tie off the boat. I was using one hand on the cliff face to balance myself when the weird "hair standing on end" feeling came. Lightening struck a huge tree above us. I felt a shock, but it didn't really hurt. Dad wasn't touching anything, but did get showered with branches and needles. The next day my elbow and shoulder were sore and I wasn't sure if it was from the lightening or all of the fishing.

·
Registered
133 Posts
In about 1980 I was driving through Albuquerque and there were lightning strikes on the left and right sides of the road and occasionally one on the road. Then there was a flash of light and it sounded like someone fired a gun in the truck. I felt a slight shock through the gas pedal. Later when I looked over the vehicle I could not find any damage. That was close enough

·
7,614 Posts
Many years ago a friend was leaning in the side door his telephone company van to get some tools out. Lightning hit the van, went through his knees which were touching the van as it hit, and out through the bottom of his feet. He went to the hospital, couldn't walk for a week or two, then all of a sudden he could walk again, it was like nothing ever happened.

In the end, he was lucky.

Notes

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,027 Posts
In Miami my FIL and I were running in from a day trolling for dolphin, just ahead of a big thunderhead. When we got the boat up on the davits I was all for getting inside, but he insisted on covering the damn thing. We got done, he was on shore and reached for my hand as I was getting off. At that instant a big bolt hit about a hundred yards away, and the ground path from the boat went through our legs and across our linked arms. Damn, that hurt, it felt like I got a hammer to my heart. We're lucky as hell to be alive, made a pact to never tell our wives, and he conceded that next time we'll let the rain fill it to the gunnels.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts