Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I got up early and went out into the nicest spring morning. I was running around getting stuff for my new convertible (Miata MX5 :cool: ) and getting her washed. Stopped for some coffee and a bagel. Just hung out in the sun. Top down letting the early sun burn up my receding hairline.

My plan was to go home and practice for a few hours. When I got home, I knew I couldn't just dwell in the dark basement while the fresh air was still calling me. So, I grabbed my soprano and a couple of Aebersolds (Horace Silver and Herbie Hancock) and headed for the park. I found a shady parking spot away from too much activity and put the play alongs in the car stereo.

Since this was "practice" and not busking, I wasn't trying to attract a crowd. Nobody noticed me anyway :shock: I just sat in passenger seat with the book on my knee resting against the dashboard and started jammin'. I was in sax heaven. I think I found a new spring and summer weekend routine. Maybe if I get brave I'll park near where all the girls hang out :D

Just though I'd share :)

·
Premium Member
26,253 Posts
An old friend and musician used to explain it this way:

There's two kinds of 'shedding; The kind you do with your horn and the kind you do without. Take the horn our of your face sometimes, and go and smell the roses.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,335 Posts
You just want to brag that you have the car to match the receding hairline. :D

(Not sure that I have enough left - hair that is - to justify a car like that even if I were in the market for one.)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,959 Posts
Miata, the Yamaha of sports cars.

Enjoy it with the top down once in a while.

(nothing personal, but if it hasn't got Lucas smoke in it, then it isn't a sports car:) )

·
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
brasscane said:

(Not sure that I have enough left - hair that is - to justify a car like that even if I were in the market for one.)
If the shoe fits...

:cheers:

·
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Carl H. said:
Miata, the Yamaha of sports cars.

Enjoy it with the top down once in a while.

(nothing personal, but if it hasn't got Lucas smoke in it, then it isn't a sports car:) )
Well, it's not your classic vintage MG, but it is black. That's as dark as Yamaha can get ;)

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
hakukani said:
An old friend and musician used to explain it this way:

There's two kinds of 'shedding; The kind you do with your horn and the kind you do without. Take the horn our of your face sometimes, and go and smell the roses.
I couldn't agree more but sometimes there is nothing better than practicing outside on a beautiful day.

A few years back I went to visit a friend in Virginia and spent a bunch of time practicing by the Shenandoah River. Very therapeutic.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
"When it's just too nice outside to stay in and practice..."

Move to Buffalo and remove temptation.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The weather today was great! (It's raining now) After quite a few hours of homework, I have wife and two kids in school, I practiced inside.

Then our girl and I went outside to practice bicycle-riding. She took off the extra weels on her small bicycle today. She did great and she can ride without now for minutes at a time:D

Later when my horn was available, I sat outside and just played what came to mind. Our son has just managed to grow enough to be able to play my alto.

I do not know if any neighbors listened in, but I heeded the advice given here on SOTW: play nice tunes and not too loud:) This is the first time I have actually practiced outside. It's recommended!

OsloSax

·
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was really nice today :) Took a ride to the music store. That's like practice right??? ;)

Actualy, it's raining now and my sax is in hand.

·
Premium Member
26,253 Posts
brasscane said:

Hey, it's not my car. I have a toyota. That's the drummer's car. He's a madman.

Oh, and my hairline's not receding. It's a widow's peak. ;)

·
14,959 Posts
OsloSax said:
Then our girl and I went outside to practice bicycle-riding. She took off the extra weels on her small bicycle today. She did great and she can ride without now for minutes at a time:D
Wow, Thats quite a big event! Thanks for the nice pic.
My little girl wants to know what your daughters name is.

OsloSax said:
Our son has just managed to grow enough to be able to play my alto.
Somebody should ask Phil if your son is taking in enough mouthpiece!:)

·
Registered
83 Posts
I picked up my ol' tenor to play with a sax quintet I used to play alto in. I havn't touched the tenor in about a year, so I was a bit worried. I had tried it at home, and it seemed to work, but the rehearsal day I was able to get to the locale a little early and start practising by myself, but it was locked. So, I also sat in the car practising, but with my tenor. Very tight, but I managed to play for a while.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
I honked a few bars at Charlie Parker's grave last November. On the same trip I was out in the middle of Nowhere, New Mexico and stopped for a while to play to the rocks.

·
1,877 Posts
I LOVE to play outside . Yesterday was killer weather and I practiced outside for about 2 hours. I went to the local college and played on the grounds. The security guy BOB digs it. He said he's glad I'm back this year. I do it on the weekends there. Nice resonation.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I work at a summer music camp in the middle of a giant redwood grove in Northern California. There's not much indoor space at all, so I always practice outside when I'm there!

And yes, clothespins work wonders for those annoying slight breezes.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts