Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been playing tenor for four years, and am really looking into buying a professional sax. When should you ideally get a professional sax?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
When you decide to keep playing past high school.

·
Distinguished Member and Forum Contributor 2008
6,395 Posts
When you can afford 2 or 3k for a horn and your commited to stay playing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 20
4,842 Posts
I disagree with most of the guys here. I think it's good to get a pro horn as soon as you can afford it. At least that way, you know you're not fighting a battle with inferior equipement. As long as it is adjusted well, anyway.

My folks bought me a YAS-61 alto at the beginning of my 4th year of playing. I will always be in their debt. I didn't have to worry about the frustration and indecision of wondering if problems were me or the horn.

Just my $.02.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,694 Posts
I dont disagree....just leave it at home or hire a guard. High school kids are can be highly destructive, they are immature, play pranks and can stupidly cost you hundreds upon hundreds of dollars. Other than that I agree with Morry. Get a good mouthpiece too.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
2,892 Posts
when you've got the $.............

·
2,232 Posts
Pro sax

I bought my mark vi after high school but played my own Buffet evette in the last two years of high school. When you buy it yourself with your own sweat paying for it, you always protect it. I've had it 18 years. Longer than any one I know has owned their car........

·
Distinguished Member and Forum Contributor 2008
6,395 Posts
I thought I would add this:

I bought my first tenor in junior high 1978. I was tired of playing the schools Conn shooting star POS. My dad set up a payment arrangement, after I had put about 1/2 down as a deposit, through the same shop I was taking lessons. I believe it was an Yanagisawa 880. I kick myself for selling it in 1989 when I moved from Colorado to California.

I had to mow lawns and do odd jobs to make the monthly payment. It taught me responsibility to make payments on time and the value of what I REALLY had in my gruby little hands.

I tell you, when your paying yourself you gaurd your horn like a hawk.

Glen

·
Registered
106 Posts
Who saaid that you needed a pro horn? Is there anything wrong with the horn that you're playing now? You playing the saxophone for the last 4 years no more qualifies you for a pro horn than me driving for the last XX amount of years qualifies me for a Mercades.
I've noticed that I sound like me, no matter what I'm playing on. Yes, playing on a pro horn allows me to focus more on the music as opposed to being restricted by the instrument.
I am in no way saying that you DON'T need a pro horn, just don't let you playing for the last 4 years be the basis for a pro horn.
Then, if you do decide to take the plunge.........do your homework BEFORE YOU BUY!!!!!!!

·
Registered
496 Posts
I like what all these guys said. You might try going to a sax shop somewhere and playing a few "Pro" horns. If one really lights you up, makes you not wanna put it down, after playin others you keep comin back to it, maybe thats when.

You'll know.

Check back in; let us know if you decided on one.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I say...NOW.....yea...why not....professional horns are nice.....you play good and you feel good......you also have to spend time to mix you 2 together.....

·
Registered
815 Posts
however, I have to add that I like the feeling from a student playable tenor sax.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,704 Posts
2K will buy you alot of lessons with a good teacher. You might find your playing improves more by that than a "new" horn. Also, with a teachers help you can find a good horn for much less than 3K> K

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Columnist, Forum Con
3,801 Posts
Case in point, I bought my Couf Superba I for $1200. I bought it from a friend at work. I got to play it for a couple of months and then decided to buy it. It is near mint and a real player. Later on I bought new horns but I always return to the Couf.

·
Registered
427 Posts
My first sax teacher has been playing on the same Conn POS tenor since he started playing in elementary school. He hasn't had it worked on in the 5 years I've known him. He uses an S80 C* and a bari plastic reed and has, simply put, the best tone I've ever heard out of a tenor saxophone.

He actually isn't as good a teacher as player, but he's taught me one thing: you don't need a pro sax. I've got a jupiter tenor and a taiwanese ebay soprano and I'm going to play them until they fall apart (might be soon for the sop..). Then I'll look into a pro horn.

·
4,596 Posts
Just don't be misled by all the gadgets and such offerend on the higher and higher models of instruments. For example, the Yamaha 62, Custom, and Z are all essentially the same horn now that they have the G1 neck. The bore is identical on all of them so they all pretty much sound the same. The only difference is the quality of brass, which has minimal bearing on the sound produced. That said, the Z is probably the best purchase because it's in between the other two price-wise, and has French brass which is more durable if that's important to you.

Basically, do your research and make sure you can play the thing in tune. ALWAYS try before you buy, or make sure you're dealing with somebody respected and well-known who wouldn't mind refunding your purchase if the horn is not for you.

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
I think most students find a "pro sax" appealing for a number of weak reasons. One is the status of the name: "pro" vs "student". Also new vs old and scratched. New Pro saxes often play way better than what they have because the new sax has been regulated to perfection and the student sax has not been maintained.

Marching band is really tough on a sax. Even through college. Its best not to be using a $$$ sax in these collision situations. I trashed my 1st Conn 10M neck. Had the dents removed 2-3 times but it was never right.

Something like a well-maintained student Yamaha, a couple of great mouthpieces, ligatures, reeds, some books, some lessons. These are all better values than getting a "pro" sax too early.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts