Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't find exact information on this. Prewar is referring to the time before WWII correct? Sept 1, 1939 is when Germany invades Poland. But of course, it took time for Conn to switch over their production line. Some people say 1941 is still prewar Conn. Is this true?

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
For the US...

"December 7, 1941. A date that will live in infamy" -- from FDR's address to congress seeking a declaration of war.

December 8th was the official declaration of war against Japan, so anything before that date is pre-war by definition for a US manufacturer. The War Powers Act to follow gave the president the authority to wage war and to direct US manufacturers to change their production towards war materials, so it was probably early 1942 before Conn got into making bullets.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,031 Posts
Most US factories stopped building civilian products around Feb. 1942 and started up again in the July-August of 1945 range. Conn did make a few horns in the interim but these dated seem to be the norm as this was the shutdown of automobile production. Almost any US car made in 1942 is pretty rare.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the clarifications. I always read about "prewar" horns but wasn't so sure what time period this was. Now I know!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts