Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, all, I'm at kind of a crossroads in life, and I'm questioning a lot of things. Luckily, my playing is not one of them. I've decided that I want to get serious about this, not necessarily to do it as a career, but get really, really good. I'm just graduating from high school, is this about the usual time to start this kind of thought about it?

Also, along with this, I want to learn jazz. I don't mean just making a list of tunes and learning them: I want to academically dissect the music, to figure it out, as to better understand it. As of now, my understanding of jazz is, as I can best put it, Instinctual. Like, I can take a listen of a solo and figure it out, and be able to pull chunks out of it to play. My improv skills are ok, but there's not nearly as much of an ability to make musical statements as I'd like. What would you guys recommend as far as resources, specifically books, or certain people here to talk to, to get me going on the right path? I'm not at all afraid of difficult stuff, I want to be challenged, frustrated, and even totally boggled by it. Thanks, as always, for the help.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sounds like you need to take a few music classes whereever you are going.
What school do you plan on going into?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts