Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thinking of buying a used Jupiter Alto Sax. Its several years old. When did Jupiter become a respectable sax manufacturer? How early can I go and still have a good Jupiter Sax? I've heard many say that Jupiters are now fairly good saxes, but when did this change happen? How old can I go?

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Well, to fill the silence :D I can't answer your question, but this might be germane. I've had students playing Jupiters going back about four years and they are good instruments. I like the alto sound. I wasn't overly wild about the ergos but I have to also say that I hadn't really worked long enough on one to become really comfortable. Some people don't like the ergos of, say, a Selmer Serie II and some do, so I would say regarding the Jupiter it's personal preference. I played next to a guy in wind ensemble about three years ago who was playing one and he sounded great.

I think if I found a Yamaha at the same price and model level as the Jupiter I would take the Yamaha for its feel, but another person might prefer the fuller Jupiter sound. Another factor on Jupiter vs Yamaha is that you might find a Jupiter at a lower price.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,309 Posts
About a year ago, after a presentation by Jupiter, I went to Austin to get more info and ended up purchasing one of their Artist Series as a backup horn (tenor). Every one I had contact with a Jupiter were very nice and knowledgeable.

My own research revealed to me that Jupiter makes quite a few of the other major brands of "Taiwanese" horns that are sold in the US and the rest of the world.

From what I gleaned from Jupiter, they are very proud of the horns (saxophone lines) since around the year 2000 (?), the ones that have the larger elliptical body to bell brace (verses the smaller horizontal shaped one).

I play a 60’s MKVI and a newer Ref 36 and no Jupiter is not a Selmer but the closest I could compare it to in the Selmer line is the Series III, a brighter centered sound with newer ergonomics. And those are actually the points about the Jupiter I personally don’t care for that much, I’m very comfortable with the older lush sounding Selmer. I will say the Jupiter is a very playable horn, easy and effortless from the bottom to altissimo.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In Germany Jup-Horns are of rather good quality since the nineties. But they improved one more time around 2000. The quality is even more stable than before. They're on one level with Yam but you have to pay less. One small prob: Buy a screwdriver that fits for small corrections of the mechanical parts. The plating is not too good :-((((But the sound! Special tip: Buy a Jup funky neck (german trade mark) ore other special necks! Very good an not too expensive.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I dunno, a band teacher who I play in a big band with asked me to try a brand new Jupiter Bari and I didn't like it at all. Especially the ergos. Plus he has already had a bunch of problems with it going out of adjustment really quickly (soft brass in keyrods?)
Why is it that so many companies go with a near-exact copy of Selmer horns except on their Baris?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well, in my opinion, I don't really think Jupiters are that good. Yesterday, I tried a few of their more expensive models, and I didn't like them at all. I could almost play better in tune on my old Selmer AS500 (which plays like crud) than on the Jupiters. And I felt like a duck playing them. I ended up persuading my mom to buy the Yamaha 475, which was actually cheaper than the Jupiters and sounded a lot better, in my opinion. Of course, she made me gather all my birthday/allowance/other assorted money sitting around the house and help pay for it... But yeah, either the band shop only had bad Jupiters, or I just don't like them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
coolsax2k7 said:
Do you hate ducks? :duckie:
Um, no, but I hate it when it sounds like there's a duck IN my saxophone. :disgust: Then again, sounding like a duck could make a good effect, but it's probably not good for classical playing, which I have to do for the next year...

·
Banned
624 Posts
AnotherClarinetist said:
Um, no, but I hate it when it sounds like there's a duck IN my saxophone. :disgust: Then again, sounding like a duck could make a good effect, but it's probably not good for classical playing, which I have to do for the next year...
Are you saying ducks can't sound legit? :razz: Wouldn't daffy be offended if you thought he wasn't good enough for choir? JK :p

·
Registered
560 Posts
AnotherClarinetist said:
You could play "Peter and the Wolf" - you be the duck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
saxfreak said:
You could play "Peter and the Wolf" - you be the duck.
I can try to imitate the duck without spending $1000+, thanks.:)

·
Registered
647 Posts
I got my Jupiter (see my sig) in April 2005 brand new. At that time I didn't know anything about saxes. I must say it's been very forgiving. I have not had any technical/mechanical problems with it so far.
I was supposed to take it in within a year of purchase for a free tune up and adjustment but didn't think it was necessary because it was playing so well.
I've been tweaking it during the last year and now have the sound I want with the Meyer 6M and La Voz reeds.
If you're set on a Jupiter I will say the later the model you get the better off you are. Get a brand new one if possible anyway it's cheaper than its Yamaha counterparts.
Based on what I have it looks like the kind of horn that may outlive you if you take good care of it. I have heard stories of Jupiters still playing well despite being used and abused by kids in marching bands.
Hope this helps.
Ben

1 - 15 of 15 Posts