Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most of you all know I am 18 years old, I've been playing the Saxophone for about a year and a half. When is the right time for me to start looking for gigs? Will they allow me in night clubs soon? And if I am in fact allowed, do I have to play music that is requested ad required or can I play original songs with the band? Do I need to hire an agent?

Thank you!

·
Banned
189 Posts
While I'm not as seasoned as 99% of the people here, I do have some experience. The most important thing is that you feel confident enough in your abilities. And you have to figure out what a "gig" entails for you. Are you talking about providing all of the entertainment for an entire evening, or doing a couple of tunes as a guest soloist somewhere? Do you have a long enough lineup of songs that can last an hour or two? Is it a solo gig with CD accompaniment or do you have your own rhythm section? My suggestion is getting your feet wet first playing for not-so-hostile audiences such as birthday parties and family gatherings (Thanksgiving and Christmas are coming up shortly; those would be GREAT opportunities to perform in front of a live audience, maybe get a few Christmas tunes under your belt). Take as many free gigs as you can. There are things you can only learn playing in public. Be open to criticism, even if it's harsh or rude. I hope this helps.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,961 Posts
FighterForJC said:
Take as many free gigs as you can. There are things you can only learn playing in public.
Get the exposure of playing in public whenever and wherever you can. If you are good, you will be contacted.

Don't worry about an agent till after college, there isn't enough money where your career is now to get one interested in you anyway. Just play everywhere you can with anybody who will have you - without abusing you. Playing music you don't care for doesn't count as abuse, but it does make you more attractive to potential employers.

Till then, go practice, then practice some more, then work on your sight reading and transcribing. Then go practice some more.

·
Registered
620 Posts
My first "paying" gig I got because some people who attended a Jazz Band concert in college heard me playing "Lover Man".

They contacted the school, who told the prof, who told them, then they called me.

I played two tunes at the church - one was a request and I performed with a pianist, the other they asked me to play on the spot - my choice, solo, no piano.

So - I played "All of Me" as they were leaving the church. (to this day I still cringe when I remember missing that flipping G#!)

Gigs happen in funny ways.

dv

·
3,494 Posts
Most people start out by joining a band.

Find some guys that have similar interests and musical tastes.

Work on some tunes until you have enough to do a couple of sets.

Then identify some venues that you feel would suit the style of music
your group is playing. Approach the manager regarding some gigs.
A demo CD would be useful.

By the time you have done this, you should be old enough to get in
the clubs.

·
3,875 Posts
I agree with Kavala. Use Craigslist and the classifieds to find a band in your area looking for a sax player. If you can't find one, place an ad yourself saying you're a sax player looking for a band.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Don't forget jam sessions. When you feel up to it, go to local jam sessions or sit in with some bands. If they like your playing they will ask for your info. Might want to get some business cards printed up.

If, after a few times at jams or sitting in, they have not asked for your info, ask someone there that you respect what things they feel you need to work on. Then work on those things awhile and go back. As long as they see you working to improve they will probably be glad to offer some tips.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Carl H. said:
Dave - anyway we could persuade you to change your avatar? That guy creeps me out big time!
Sorry Heino was so creepy.....

That was the whole attraction.

Here's Hayata - Ultraman's alter ego

dv

1 - 11 of 11 Posts