Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a college student currently playing on a Mad Meg Alto. I use a S90 C* with Vandoren or Hemke 3-3.5 for classical, and a Stainless Steel RIA 8 with LaVoz 2.5 for jazz. I'm considering trying out new MPs and/or reeds for my jazz setup because I find the RIA too bright and a little hard to control. Just wondering what works for other people, so maybe i can get a few ideas.

--Josh

·
Registered
125 Posts
Definitely try a JodyJazz HR in a 7, 7*, or 8 facing. They are fantastic playing mouthpieces and at $120 or so, an incredible bargain for a serious top of the line hard rubber mouthpiece. They play very much like a cross between a rubber link and a classic Meyer. Great lead alto mouthpiece.

I play that as well as a JodyJazz DV for alto depending on the gig. (I actually play his mouthpieces on every horn from soprano to bari) If you are looking for darker the HR is the better choice.

Peace,
John

·
Registered
126 Posts
I use a mogan 6e for my jazz playing. Its a great mouthpiece, easy to control, and has a wonderful sound. I use java 2.5's, I've tried other reeds and my second choice are rico jazz selects, nice but a little bright for my taste.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist TSGT(Ret)USAF
1,390 Posts
On lead alto,

Morgan Hard rubber Jazz model 7M

It's a standard .080" tip.

Perfect for Bebop or combo playing,Big Band,GB work, funk, fusion whatever..

On this piece, Reedwise, I use Vandoren Java 3 1/2's

1 - 6 of 6 Posts