Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm always curious as to how other people practice. I've got a routine of my own but it's nice to see how others shed.

1st: Major, minor, blues, whole tone scales and diminished scales.
2nd: Songs from school bands.
3rd: Jazz standards, audition material.
4th: Improvisation; cadences, patterns, runs, licks, noodling etc...:TGNCHK:
5th: Arpeggios, fast-tonguing, altissimo, overtones and multiphonics.
6th: I finish off with some improvisation in free time. (more like wannabe avant garde)

This is when I get the time to practice, of course. :|

·
Banned
492 Posts
Oh man,... do I wanna be like you when I grow up! For me it's just school stuff, school stuff and more school stuff. And those S T U P I D Ferlings got me hurling chunks each time I think about it. Blues, Jazz, Improvs, and licks,... oh man how I wish!

Jr.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
I'm with Grumps - Alone I practice band stuff that gives me trouble (maybe an hour a week - there's not a lot of what I do live that gives me issues), or I use the recording process - I end up playing it over and over until I've written a part I like. Of course - that's also the final cut, so frequently I'll never play it again - (Unless it's one of the rare songs I can perform with one of my bands.)

I also get two - three practices a week with a group - One each with two different bands. Then I also have a little duo thing with my wife and we practice together a couple of hours a week too, so I get plenty of practice, just not the scales or long tone stuff everyone here goes on about. Every blue moon I'll play with the whole overtone thing for about a half hour and see what I can squeak out with altissimo (above what I can execute) for about a half hour but I get bored with that pretty quickly.....

I should point out that both the bands I practice with understand that I "experiment" during practice. Both also know I play well within my abilities live, so they don't mind. I've been with them both long enough for them to experience the fruits of experimentation during band practice. I also play fairly regularly (It may become my main gig) with a blues band that never practices so I consider every gig with them both a performance and a practice.

·
Registered
197 Posts
i'm relatively new at the sax (2 years), have a day job, and luckly if i can practice 4 times a week 1.5 hours each.

1. long tones
2. pick a random chord progression and improv on it
3. scales/chords of the day (pick a mode, any mode)
4. klose or nelson excercise with a metronome
5. break
6. play-along tune my teacher assigned- play scales and chords within the tune, improv
7. standards for fun

1 - 6 of 6 Posts