Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
35,041 Posts
After listing it at $28,000, they can next offer it on sale "Price reduced - Save $10,000!"

I hope they donate a thank you gift to SotW for this thread.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
That is a truly beautiful sop. And it makes me wonder what the story is behind it. And who it was originally made for.

But I believe it's probably worth half of what is being asked. And something like that is to far to valuable and special to use as a primary instrument. Plus, for the asking price, I could buy just about any brand new sop. I wanted and have it engraved and customized anyway I liked.

Instruments like this probably best belong in museums so they can be preserved and enjoyed for many generations to come.

·
Out of Office
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,105 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
This piece is not just a sax to play on a gig rather a serious piece of Americana art. I dont think this sax is worth 28,000$. If I had to estimate it id say right in that 8-12k mark. Its possible the engraving wasn't factory however we all know Conn were known for elaborate one off engraved pieces that pop up.

You couldn't turn another one of these up if you had to. It looks great imo. To just think this piece being hand crafted in 1925. All of the engraving was probably done in this very room coming close to 100 years ago! That's awsome!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,895 Posts
value of anything is all down to what people want to pay for any given object. Yesterday I saw an antique program where two bronzes from the '20 by a well known sculptor were auctioned for 1000£ , in the same auction a weird biscuit tin from 1900 was auctioned for the same amount of money. Even if this is , without any doubt, a piece of American art its value its purely speculative.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts