1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
There Will Never Be Another You

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
5,227 Posts
When people say, "You play the sax, let me hear something..." is usually when I put the horn away as quickly as I can. If they persist I either ask them what tune they want to hear, and it's usually a pop tune I've heard before and can at least half-*** the melody on, or I just make up something on the spot...usually about how much I hate it when I'm presented with that line, but they can't hear the words in my head so it sounds a lot less mean.:)

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2019
1,051 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,367 Posts
This is a great topic and the perfect "go-to" song has always eluded me. If I'm desperate to show someone that I know how to play, it's usually "Girl From Ipanema."

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
Sax, Flute, Keyboard, Vocal
6,595 Posts
I think a lot of people forget that the sax has a beautiful haunting tone. I do somewhere over the rainbow in most situations when I'm in between the songs I want to present as a solo or duo acts Its recognizable , isn't consididered "jazz' (has a vocal basis to it) and connects generations. I don"t crank out some Bebop song or jazz thing from the 60s. I'm demoing the sound of the instrument and I guess what I sound like. Also, even after playing it 1000s of times I still like it and can connect to it. When I do it in a convalescent setting I always change keys just to keep me awake and If I have a guitar, play it like a reggie or add things to it stylistically if that seems like the crowd can handle. But otherwise just slow and pretty >K

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.