Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering tunes for my flute recital in the fall. Doing some Bach, Mozart, etc. but am doing jazz at the end. I'm thinking Naima for a ballad because I really connect with it, but also wanted a really fast tune- considering a few. Any ideas?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,230 Posts
Cherokee. Too bad i can't play it yet.

I'll Remember April is in G major (a good flute key) and has very nice harmonic sequence for improvising. Check out Cannonball's version for a definition of "up tempo".

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
If we’re talking flute specific, definitely Hubert Laws’ version of Trane’s Moment’s Notice. And Hubert Laws again in Pastorius’ Used to be a Cha-Cha even though the official album release is done on piccolo, there’s a flute version that isn’t as good.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Try "Waterfall" recorded by the jazz rock band IF (yes, tHat was the band's name - two letters only) back in 1972. Fantastic flute solo by the great Dick Morrissey. You'll find it on YouTube and Spot a Fly.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Not as fast as other tunes, but up-tempo, "Manteca" by Quincy Jones. Also, "Bop'n Bob Don't Stop" by Phil Woods on album "Celebration".

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks so much for all these ideas. I should do something challenging I guess- no one has mentioned Giant Steps- that's always an option! :yikes!:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,384 Posts
Miles used to play four and walkin at burning tempos. Its about making something musical and not just running fast changes like a bumblebee? Breckers solo on nothing personal is I think a good example of a cool solo at a fast speed. K

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
In my opinion, if it's one concert , simplicity is a big factor. A harder sing could trip you up , stiffin the flow, more room for error.

Milestones would be one of my choices. The bridge could be 6/8 , or halftime , so, it's a built in rest moment to fly on the three A sections. You can take it super fast with ease . Just remembering it's AABA , I slight extra phrase conclusion on the last A helps remember the form.

There are plenty of great choices

1 - 20 of 30 Posts