Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm composing a piece for the end of my senior year in high school that also serves as an assignment for my music theory class next year. That being said, I would love to listen to some group that have sax in them or are just great rock and funk bands for a little inspiration and to get the feel for the kind of song I want to create and ultimately perform with my ensemble here at my school.
So let the suggestions fly please, I always need new music too!

Allie

·
Registered
136 Posts
Maceo Parker! Life on planet groove is my favourite album his, my definition of funk

The Yellow Jackets! Bob Mintzer is my favourite living player, They're Mint Jam album is my favourite but not really that funky. I find the album Shades to be the most funk feeling. Marc Russo on that album but none the less great album

Chris Potter is a beastly player and he has some interesting stuff, his Underground album would be a good place to start

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Here are some suggestions to check out...Brecker Brothers...Ohio Players...Earth Wind and Fire...Blood Sweat and Tears...Chicago...Tower of Power...Crusaders...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,065 Posts
There's another thread with a lot of good examples of funk/rock/jazz groups and players. Here's the link.

It's extremely cool that you're getting into listening to, and writing, such interesting music while still in high school. That's when I started listening to jazz, funk, and fusion, and it changed my life, along with all the other rock bands I'd been getting into since I was a kid. Have fun, and good luck with your tune.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Tower of Power, Earth Wind and Fire, Average White Band, Climax Blues Band

1 - 11 of 11 Posts