Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats your Borg setup folks,model,mp and reed combo.I use rico jazz select unfiled 2 hard on my Freddie Gregory MKIII metal mp with my black silver jubilee tenor.Very happy with this combo and very flexible it is.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Whats your Borg setup folks,model,mp and reed combo.I use rico jazz select unfiled 2 hard on my Freddie Gregory MKIII metal mp with my black silver jubilee tenor.Very happy with this combo and very flexible it is.
Hi

(Both are Vintage Tenor's)

Early Babbit STM 7* with 4 java reeds on my Borgani Ponzol...I have to drop a reed size to 3 1/2 Java to play on my Borg Jubilee. I dont know why that is ?? but the Jubliee is much more happy with a 3 1/2.

Q. what is the Gregory 3 like ...have ya got some pics ?

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes i can sort some pics later.The piece was my mates who got Freddie to make him it when he lived here in the UK.He asked for it to be like UK sax player Snake Davis's FG piece,same size a 9* rollover piece.Freddie made the piece then sent it to him for testing but this took about 7 months,he sent it back twice more for more tweaks,this took another few months and freddie was due to move to Spain so my mate just kept the piece unplated or signed,no tooth plate.He said it was a total nitemare trying to talk to freddie as his english was poor.It all took about a year of hassle.He played the piece for a few years then i sold him a old Lawton 8*B piece I had,funny the guys ebay name i bought it from was maneast,was it your lawton? I had tested the FG afew times over the last 10ish years and never got away with it,always closed up on me but a few months ago i was wanting to go atad darker in sound but still have loads od juice and power,i tested it and it was amazing.Plays great.My dream piece was a great cross between a Link and a Guardala brecker or king model,well this is it.The rollover baffle has freddies file marks which looks sweet.

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,273 Posts
Alto......Limited Edition 130 model (silver plate neck & bell with gold brass body), TW Kali 6 or Aizen NY Jazz, Rigotti Gold 3 medium reeds.
Tenor....Silver plate Jubilee, Johannas Gerber Slant Sig 7, LaVoz medium soft reeds.

Great horns they both are. I had the alto overhauled this year and it really sings now:) I'd like to get a soprano Borgani one day. They have a deep alto like sound that stands out.

I wonder if Borgani will ever make a baritone. That would be a beast to reckoned with!!!

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Large

Its kind of a cross between a Dukoff M (at the front end) and The Otto Link.
Sorted.As for the Freddie piece its a great blend of that thick metal Link vibe that i love but i can never find the open power on the links i blew.I have been mainly a Guardala player on and off for years and love there shear ease of playing and the huge highs they have but you lose some of the warmth so i was wanting that blend of the 2.My Theo Wanne Durga 9 tenor piece was very close to this mix but at a 120 tip and the large chamber it took lots of air.The next 1 down was there 110 durga which was closing on me,why dont he do a 115 durga? This MKIII rollover baffle piece is great and i am very happy with it.Freddie also makes a step baffle MKIII version.It works sweet on my borg and i love the sound.

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Come on there must be more Borg assimilations out there or we are VERY rare indeed.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Hi Dave..
Borg Vintage Tenor - cross between a Jubilee and a Ponzol - unlacquered.
(Maneast knows this horn as I gt it from Col - caffsax)
I am still on the mpce search but presently I use
EB Link Tone Edge 7* , Morgan Fry Foridated STM -
Java Green 2 1/2 -3 or Alexander NY 2 1/2
The EB Link being my default mpce.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,046 Posts
silver plate Jubilee - ordered without pads and springs
Neck work by Gloger (remove the octave key guide, replace the neck brace with a Conn bit)
Custom 'roo skin pads (brown)
Blue needle springs
Vandoren V16 T9 - modified by Juan Caino - We call it the "K-9"
Morgan 3C - modified by Ed Zentera (as a backup to a 3C refaced by Jon Van Wie) - the predecessor of the 6C

Yeah, I like this horn...

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Hi Dave..
Borg Vintage Tenor - cross between a Jubilee and a Ponzol - unlacquered.
(Maneast knows this horn as I gt it from Col - caffsax)
I am still on the mpce search but presently I use
EB Link Tone Edge 7* , Morgan Fry Foridated STM -
Java Green 2 1/2 -3 or Alexander NY 2 1/2
The EB Link being my default mpce.
Nice Buy !

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
I always found the Borg to be rather mouthpiece fussy. A great tenor though - if I ever won the lottery I'd head right for the factory in Italy. Had the best results with large chamber, low baffled pieces.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I had a go on a friends (New Vinage Metal Link ) a few weeks ago ...that was very nice. The Jody Jazz H.R. works well too.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,046 Posts
I always found the Borg to be rather mouthpiece fussy. A great tenor though - if I ever won the lottery I'd head right for the factory in Italy. Had the best results with large chamber, low baffled pieces.
I'm mouthpiece fussy too. The good news is that the Borg' and I have similar tastes and expectations. So far, my tenor has played well with every mouthpiece I have tried on it - hmmmm, all large chamber, low baffled pieces.

High baffles are a crutch. :twisted:

·
Registered
495 Posts
Lovano Tenor. I've settled on a Sakshama built Fla Link lost wax knock off with a LaVoz medium. My favorite sounding horn/mpc in all my days. Although....I REALLY dug this Amma II that I tried in Vegas...frickin LOVED that piece, but I didn't buy it cuz DAMN they're expensive. I picked up a used Amma II here...not the same; sold it again. Someday I'm gonna head back to Kesslers (or maybe somewhere on the east coast now that I live in DC) with $700 and a box of reeds & pick one out. I'm sure you can guess what th ehold up is :p

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am glad theres more of us in the borg race.i played on a bunch of mps on my 1st borg and i also found the borg worked with all very well.I sold my Sakshama florida link 118 tip a while ago,wish i had kept it now as a back up piece,it would have worked great.I am on the ligature hunt again.Using a metal BG Jazz on my FG piece but fancy a FL Ultimate lig.

·
Registered
481 Posts
General agreement then ? : large chamber, low baffled pieces seem to work best for Borgs - Although all mpces work - just some sound better than others :twisted:
I would really like to try out a Warburton Mod NYSTM, and a Sakshama Florida and a Barone Hollywood...
I've also heard that Morgan Fry is making some great metal pieces now, made to order which is another temptation..more gas...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts