Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
littlewailer said:
whats the unfiled one sound like in comparison?
Haven't tried them yet. Any difference in its sound could be attributable to dozens of other factors, though.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I was discussing the difference between RJS filed and unfiled with the guys at sax.co.uk the other day. They said that after extensive tests so far as they could tell there was very little difference but they did think that the filed version offered slightly easier subtoning.

Obviously YMMV and I do not know the precise details of the testing conditions!

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rick Adams said:
I was discussing the difference between RJS filed and unfiled with the guys at sax.co.uk the other day. They said that after extensive tests so far as they could tell there was very little difference but they did think that the filed version offered slightly easier subtoning.

Obviously YMMV and I do not know the precise details of the testing conditions!
Agreed. I think RSJ are the only reeds that are offered in both filed and unfiled. Having played dozens of boxes of each, I'd say they're pretty much the same on average.

Has anybody else bought a box of filed reeds and found one that "missed the eggbeater" or vice versa?

·
Registered
790 Posts
dstack79 said:
Haven't tried them yet. Any difference in its sound could be attributable to dozens of other factors, though.
So "same product but different name" could not be an Asian invention :cool:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Rico has been around a long time - lots of business practices could have changed over 20 years. And, I understand that Rico (or their umbrella corp) markets a lot of different brands, all made by Rico.

I wouldn't put too much worry into it. I agree with Rick and dstack about making little difference. I know, I know - some of you REALLY believe it does and that's okay, too. DAVE

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
I opened a box of RJS filed the other day, and in one of the cute little plastic cases was sitting half a reed!

I just threw it away like I do really duff reeds.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hakukani said:
I opened a box of RJS filed the other day, and in one of the cute little plastic cases was sitting half a reed!
Argh...i'd ask for refund or another reed. I can play an unfiled reed, but not a (reed) x .5

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Hmm, presumably someone at the production factory put that half a reed into the plastic protector and then into the box. I mean, it didn't get there on it's own :|

·
Registered
36 Posts
i got a box of 9 lavoz baritone reeds once. i wrote a nasty e-mail and they said they'd me a free box... but i never got it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,416 Posts
So they didn't do the file cut on one? Try it - it may be a pretty good reed, particularly being that old.
The difference between filed (French cut) and unfiled (American cut) is generally the filed reed will be a little brighter/more responsive. Any time you do something to the area around the top of the vamp, you can enhance the responsiveness of the reed (like old Vibrator reeds and that one with the hole). I use the unfiled on tenor because they're a little 'thicker' (in sound), but I also cut a slot in the center of the vamp at the top.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
Rick Adams said:
Hmm, presumably someone at the production factory put that half a reed into the plastic protector and then into the box. I mean, it didn't get there on it's own :|
I figured it was automated.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
hakukani said:

I just threw it away like I do really duff reeds.
So you didn't even try it? It may be exactly what we've all been searching for. Now we'll never know.....

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
hakukani said:
I figured it was automated.
You reckon there's some kind of robot that puts each reed into its own little plastic reed holder, and another robot that puts 5 of them into their box? :shock:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts