Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been listening to the California Allstate Jazz bands and I came across this guy on alto from a while back. The song is called Michelangelo By Fred Sturm and the solo section is just the C# Phrygian (for Eb) on loop. This guy has some really interesting ideas and likes to play outside but I would like if someone with a lot more knowledge than me explained to me what he was doing. There's a lot of tension in the solo and it feels very intense to me. I would like to know what you guys think of his tone/playing style, why you like it or why not also. HERES the address to the song-----> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9c7yPciJEs

*sorry I didn't make it a clickable link, I don't have the knowledge on how to do that (my first post). just copy and paste into your search bar. Thanks!

-gio

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,126 Posts
Welcome to SOTW Gio :).

That's a very nice alto solo for sure. I can't give you a lot of clues on what he plays, it's just some nice outside runs over the chord(s). I like his sound and approach, does remind me a bit of Cannonball Adderley. The mic is set very loud, that also makes that you can't really judge his sound based on natural playing, but I lliked it for sure.

Thanks for sharing :).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts