Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Link removed - see 'The Sidewinder' by Lee Morgan

I heard it in Starbucks a few years ago and I know I've heard it before. It kept bugging me so I sat down and sort of worked out the head from what I could remember. I know its a jazz/funk standard but need to know the title so I can direct the other group members to the recording to learn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,262 Posts
Lee Morgan "Sidewinder"

·
7,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man, that's it!

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,883 Posts

·
7,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not that difficult to guess when you mention the title in your opening post !
No, I didn't know the title then - I posted a link to me playing the head of the tune then deleted the link after learning the title. I'm getting better with tech but that link had my name on it and I didn't like that. It was the only way I could get the tune from the recording on my phone to SOTW. That alone was quite an accomplishment. :) Remembering the tune three years after hearing it one time in Starbucks and being able to first work it out mentally then play it well enough to be recognizable was the real job. Then the recording! I have a tuner app on my phone that also has a recorder. I worked with it some and learned that I had to really lay back on the volume or the playback sounded like crap. So, I'm out in the garage playing into a phone about as quiet as I can on a song I don't really know. But that little recorder has really helped me lately. I'm amazed at how many bad habits I've picked up in 60 years of not recording myself. it's like starting over, but kind of fun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts