Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, there's a guy selling this C Melody tenor and I was wondering if anyone knows this brand and how much would it be worth. I can't really read what it says, but maybe you can identify it.

View attachment 28720

Thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
I think it is a true tone Buescher as well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,057 Posts
Certainly a Holton (as in the engraving) - but I'd love to know how you a couple of you guys think it's probably one from the Buescher factory ? Am I missing something about that tone-hole, or the specific engraving ?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
726 Posts
The same question was recently posted about a Holton bass sax, I cannot find the thread now, but was two days ago, Laporte had answered after researching about it, also I pointed the similarities between my 1923 Buescher C melody and the Bass sax in question. Probably more pictures would be better, to assure this affirmation, but meanwhile I think it´s a Buescher.

·
2,057 Posts
Hmmm, I've had quite a few Buescher C-Mels pass thro' my hands, and the couple of Holton C's I also had were like very un-Buescher like...

Now Bass saxes are different, e.g. Conn even made bass saxes for Martin.

Not to say that Holton didn't have some saxes made for them by others, but I'd definitely need more than a picture of the bell to be sure :bluewink:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the Holt
1,477 Posts
Yep--just because Holton stenciled Bass saxes from Conn, didn't mean they didn't makle their other horns. That's a staight up old Holton made C-mel. Check out the Holton forums--lots of info on there regarding.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
First, look at the horn in question and see if it has the usuall extra keys. That will settle it. I don't recall seeing a Holton C made by Buescher.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
2,057 Posts
Yep, there's that Holton high trill key, it's a Holton Holton made by Holton :lick:

There wasn't ever (afaik) a specific C-melody 'Brilhart special Ebolin' - so could well be a alto mouthpiece judging by size and position on cork. Should give quite a good sound, I used to use a tenor version of the same mouthpiece on a Conn C, it was stubby enough to come up to pitch on the microtuner neck.

420 Euro's (US$600) seems a little high, even for this side of the Atlantic, unless it is well maintained and needing no attention - but looking at one of the pics the 'D' pad (RH3) looks to be a little split at the edge ? In itself no big deal, but the few pads visible look quite old, that price is a little high for a sax that could well need a repad and a little setting up... Could you ask for more/better pics of the pads, and confirmation that it's (very) playable ?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
Holton for sure. I have the exact same one sitting here. That is a bit high but if it is in good playing condition, maybe. If you want an original with the old white pads (needs a redo) for $150 US, I have one!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the Holt
1,477 Posts
First, look at the horn in question and see if it has the usuall extra keys. That will settle it. I don't recall seeing a Holton C made by Buescher.
Very true Bruce, but also for the new Holton guys: note that many many Holtons only have "normal" keys, with no Holton extra keys. Just depends on the model.

·
2,057 Posts
Hmmm, that RH D pad is definitely dead, others look hard or approaching the end of their useful life - it's your call, but expensive at 420 Euros, for a sax that could really do with a repad etc. if you want to get the best from it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts