Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... with this bass (an SA80II copy) and the seller?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250804046276&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT (I did try to post this thread in the eBay section but I'm not allowed in there!)

It had over 10 bidders last time I looked on Tuesday (I was tempted to bid as well but had a feeling in my waters) and the price had gone up to well over $1000.

But since the bidding ended it now appears to have no bidders and is back at the low starting price again of $600. Just clicked on the seller's other items and there's nothing. http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/xishuiyuantou/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

Apparently 'This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available' which makes me suspect there was no bass. The same seller had a Loree cor anglais, an Amati contrabassoon and other interesting instruments like those, plus Chinese-made bari saxes 'for sale'.

Did anyone on here put in a bid for it? Did anyone on here actually win it? If you did, have you already paid for it through PayPal? Did you get your money back? Has there been any further communication from the seller?

Questions, questions ...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,127 Posts
That looks like all the other fake listings for bass saxes that pop up frequently on Ebay. Limited feedback, and the sax is supposedly located in China.

It's probably a good thing you didn't win it!

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did contact the seller twice with a rather sarcastic question each time (eg. What make is the 'contrabassoon' or 'cor anglais' you're 'selling'?) and they got back to me with exactly what it was each time (an Amati contra and a Loree cor - I could see that from the photos and they confirmed that) so I thought there was some honesty there and this bass might be legit. But I still had my doubts so played safe.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
The seller xishuiyuantou has sold ten items. Most of these were 99 cents. All were under $10. And the seller has no buys. This is a scam. There is little doubt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts