Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you call the opening of the mouthpiece through which you insert the saxophone neck? Would you call it a stem?

I have three mouthpieces: a Kielwerth stock piece, a Selmer soloist and an Otto Link metal. The first two have similar stem openings, but the Otto Link is way too loose. It's like at least 1 mm wider than the other two.

Is this normal? I would have thought that all stem openings should have standard dimensions, so that players could just swap mouthpieces without having to worry about replacing neck corks everytime.

For now, I wrap the neck cork with teflon tape to make it thick enough to accept the Otto Link.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,891 Posts
the part you are referring to is called the shank. It would make sense for these to all have a similar bore, but it simply is not the case.

Short of getting a second neck, the Teflon tape is what most people do to solve the problem

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,228 Posts
Mouthpiece shanks can have slightly diameters internally even with the same models. One guess it that the molds used for them wear down slightly. Another guess is that the cooling rates are different batch to batch depending on intangable factors, weather, air pressure, what season it is...

I have a few mouthpieces that are the same model and are two or thre teflon tape thicknesses differance.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. It's both reassuring and disturbing.

I'm reassured to learn that I haven't been sold a dud piece, yet I'm disturbed to learn that mouthpiece makers don't have stricter tolerances.

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
Most are fairly similar. Once in a while you get an odd size. A shank bore can be reduced by coating the inside of it with epoxy and then sanding it to size.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts