Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For me I think it was Steely Dan's Deacon Blues...

·
Banned
8,336 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,095 Posts
Plas Johnson's Pink Panther. The epitome of tenor sax. I first saw the PP cartoons back in the 60s and 70s as a kid. Of course, I didn't know by then who was Plas Johnson. The only name mentioned was Henri Mancini. Another genius.
By the way, most later PP cartoons are backed by other sessions, not played by Johnson. He plays on the original session, related to the Pink Panther movie.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,364 Posts
"Papa's got a brand new Pigbag" by Pigbag...
"Old Rugged Cross" Roland Kirk
"Rat Trap" Boomtown Rats.....

·
Registered
480 Posts
Plas Johnson's Pink Panther. The epitome of tenor sax. I first saw the PP cartoons back in the 60s and 70s as a kid. Of course, I didn't know by then who was Plas Johnson. The only name mentioned was Henri Mancini. Another genius.
By the way, most later PP cartoons are backed by other sessions, not played by Johnson. He plays on the original session, related to the Pink Panther movie.
Ditto.

·
Registered
506 Posts
"Hub Caps and Tail Lights" from the "Breakfast at Tiffany's" soundtrack (Mancini). This piece features bari sax. After hearing it I wanted to switch from clarinet to bari, but our high school band director needed tenor players so I switched to that. I found out that tenor sax is pretty nice also.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,095 Posts

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,943 Posts
I believe it was Plas on the first Film, but Tony Coe on the sequels (Return of)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I was much more into pop music back then, so when I started out on alto the 1st solo that comes to mind was on Billy Ocean's "Caribbean Queen".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkXV5O5GfJ8. I just remember getting goosebumbs hearing it. This i was in 6th grade back then.

Then there was "Wishing Well" by Terrance Trent D'arby, which had a small part for Bari @ 2:53 in the vid. I never really cared for the song until the bari comes in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-Uz-dPANDY

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
It was some Jan Garbarek song, I don't remember which. It was really inspirational. That's why I started on the soprano.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I was in high school and was a classical clarinetist. And then I heard Desmond play....
Now, 40 years later, seems that it is Sonny Stitt who keeps me playing and yearning for more. What a demon.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Kind of cheesy, but I was already playing saxophone and in junior high. My teacher got one of those promotional records that plays just part of several songs in an effort to sell charts, and I heard Samba Kinda Way. I don't know what band was playing it, but the sax player had one hell of a solo. I knew right then what I wanted to do. I played it over and over and over. Still have the record somewhere, I asked the teacher if I could have it when he was through with it. Wow.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,444 Posts
As I was growing up in the sticks of Missouri, we had both kinds of music in the house - yeah, Country & Western. Only eight-track that my parents had, that I liked was Boots Randolph's Yakety Sax. I liked every rendition on that tape. (Take that back, I liked the Charley Pride tape as well!)

Then of course, there were the Pink Panther cartoons! But, didn't hear of Mancini, Johnson, or the Pink Panther movies until I was in the late teens.

Yeah, it really was out in the sticks. Radio stations played either C&W or R&R/Pop stuff back then. Didn't hear "real" jazz until I got to college. Did get to play some Dixieland (and had fun doing it though!) while in high school.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts