Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the difference between an NY and a STM Link? Anything, or do the usual Link inconsistencies apply?

It's ok I know his has been answered before so please don't shout at me in big red type, I have used the search but it really doesn't deliver very well does it?.

Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,049 Posts
The NY has a larger chamber and, allegedly, a darker, warmer, more spread sound. I couldn't really notice a consistent difference between the STMs and NYs that I played in the store when I got my Link, but that was a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
9,069 Posts
The NY chamber is about .100" wider as measured past the window "U". This should make it darker. Some rave that this is a big deal but I think it depends more on which one had a better facing/baffle on it when you compare them.

·
13,249 Posts
I personally like the NY better. Of course baffles in Links vary so much its hard to always know what your getting. I think the fact that fewer NY models are made keeps their quality a little higher (or should I say not as low). Ive only had a few of each but Ive fould less obscene errors in NY Links...though I still find that they play MUCH better after having some facing work. Also, on the whole, there is less chamber work required as it seems to not have the STM severe pinch point which seems to increase resistance with little benefit.

Personally, at this point my customized NY is my favorite piece. Its refaced. I also undercut the rails a bit further making the chamber even a little bigger. The baffle...well, its monkeyed with too...Pretty much everything has been changed. The bigger chamber really thickened up the tone, made for a big low end, and added complexity. It plays close to my Barone Jazz but is a little more towards the refined sound of a Link....this is no knock on Phil at all...The Barone Jazz is a great mpc. Its been described (I think accurately) as a Link on steroids. My Ny is now a Link on less detectable steroids but much more than a Link.

Anyway...back to your original question...In summation, the differences are subtle...they are there. They are not so large as a change in reeds and playing approach could not make up for the differences. Its also going to depend on your horn. I play a 54 with a SSIII neck. That looses a little in the bottom end in exchange for a lot of benefits. Its also a very focused and refined horn. It can easily tollerate a mpc that is more spread and that is a little more agressive in tone. It really comes down to what your after.

·
2,319 Posts
JimD said:
What's the difference between an NY and a STM Link? Anything, or do the usual Link inconsistencies apply?

It's ok I know his has been answered before so please don't shout at me in big red type, I have used the search but it really doesn't deliver very well does it?.

Thanks
I have and do own both the NY and the regular STMs. I haven't had much luck finding a non stuffy STM regular. I own a 5* and a 7* NY and they played noticably easier and fuller on the low end than the regulars w/o the stuffy feel. I tried another one at a store not too long ago and it too played nicely right out of the box. I don't like the taste of brass so mine are all original and I am quite happy with them. They even play altissimo quite easily.

·
1,308 Posts
In my experience the biggest difference is in response...especially the attack. The STMs are faster and punchier while the NYs are a little slower. The STM seems brighter and the NY seems darker. But again, I think it just seems that way because of the response. I would have to put a small baffle in a NY to make it respond like my STM (without an added baffle).

But, since reeds/air also play a role in response it's easy to sound the same on both a NY and an STM.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts