Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the big secret on posting sax serial numbers online ?

..like 142xxx

...Why don't people want to list the full serial number online ?

Before some of you sax lawyers answer with "legal reasons", What specifically are the reasons ?

·
Formerly 1958SelmerMarkVI
1,533 Posts
Re: What's the big secret on sax serial numbers ? ..like 142xxx ...Why don't people want to list the full serial numbe

I've never really understood this either. I think the thought process is that if you reveal the whole number some dubious individual might file a false police report claiming the horn was stolen from them in an attempt to 'recover' an instrument that isn't actually their's. Sounds like a whole lot of trouble to go to, especially considering that the person filing said report would be risking the possibility that the true owner has concrete proof of ownership which could then get the scammer in trouble. I think that somewhere along the line someone must have started using the X's and everyone else has just followed suit such that it is so commonplace now that nobody thinks twice about. I guess better safe than sorry...

·
Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contribut
3,259 Posts
Re: What's the big secret on sax serial numbers ? ..like 142xxx ...Why don't people want to list the full serial numbe

As was stated. Better safe than sorry... Why give out unneccessary info

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,275 Posts

So you put up some pictures and state the serial number; a scammer promptly takes the info and puts the horn on Craigslist or ebay. Sure, no skin off your butt, BUT it's just that we try to minimize such activity. This practice actually started with guns not long after the internet started and has spread to anything with a serial number. With saxes, the first half of the number is usually sufficient to place it chronologically.

·
Forum Contributor 2014-2017
1,001 Posts

Why do you need the whole serial number? If you're within xxx range you're close enough
to figure out the year of production, which is what the serial number provides. I remember when this beautiful King Super XX
came up for sale on eBay for a $46XX buy-it-now price. It finally sold for just $38XX! I missed getting it
by just $X.0x. #@&!%*!

·
14,504 Posts

This subject has come up many times on SOTW. But I guess it needs to be re-hashed every so often.

I realize that some folks can't imagine that such a thing could ever happen (the mis-use of someone else's serial-numbered property), and while I cannot cite a specific incident of that ever happening, I've been around the horn (no pun intended) enough times to know that if there is a scam to be conducted, a lie to be told, or something mis-appropriated, some jerk will try it. Just the fact that we SUSPECT it could happen brings it into the realm of possibility. I'd been in law enforcement for 40 years and it seems that if someone has thought of it, someone has done it. There are cases that you cannot make up. So like was said above, why give out the info? DAVE

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2016
1,521 Posts

This is as common as the day is long and predates the internet. Cars, motorcycles, any valuable, serialized equipment often is not fully identified by owners, for the reasons above.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts

Maybe I missed it above, but my understanding is to prevent others from using that serial number as somehow "proof" that the item was stolen from them and, subsequently, should be returned to them.

·
Banned
2,967 Posts

hello there....i find its easier to read on the page,and i add it so people can work out the age of the instrument....
cheers,philip

·
8,690 Posts

For me it's more that i can usually remember the first couple of numbers without looking at the horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,356 Posts

All of the above.....first three numbers to identify the era but not enough to get into a mess.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,460 Posts

To sell a car you have to give the full Vehicle identification number.

As has been pointed out here on SOW, that a saxophone which lacks its full serial number might not be legally possessed or transferred.

The argument against posting the full serial number is that some one might scam the owner claiming that the sax was previously stolen.

I suggest that if this was so, the scammer had better have previously reported the serial number as having been stolen.

Legitimate owners actually benefit by having left a public trail of reporting serial numbers before scammers make a claim.

But then, I run a list of saxophones serial numbers in which I only add those that provide the whole serial number and so I am biased.

Given all of this I have yet to see one documented example of the "scam".

So I suggest those that are promoting it as a reason not to disclose the full serial number are paranoid.

·
14,504 Posts

Yeah, I'm paranoid alright. I've seen TOO much over my adult life to be otherwise. DAVE

·
Registered
587 Posts

Same with license plate numbers...in all honesty nothing can really happen, but I guess a very clever person and a very bored police officer might make your day a little rough.

I've NEVER in my entire life heard of a legitimate story where anything real came from someone posting a full serial number or license plate online. No police reports, no having to convince the cops you actually bought it, etc.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts

Same with license plate numbers...in all honesty nothing can really happen, but I guess a very clever person and a very bored police officer might make your day a little rough.

I've NEVER in my entire life heard of a legitimate story where anything real came from someone posting a full serial number or license plate online. No police reports, no having to convince the cops you actually bought it, etc.
Until California changed its policy a guy traced a woman's license plate, found her address and killed her. This prompted California to prevent someone from accessing your sensitive data just from the license plate number.

As for the sax serial numbers, as someone posted earlier a scammer could use the serial number and a picture to do a scam.

Why give sensitive information when you don't have to?

·
Out of Office
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,105 Posts

I've never had a problem with giving a serial number, and never understood why people hide them.

if you give the number it shows you are confident the horn is legally yours. I am sometimes a bit wary of anyone selling a horn but won't tell me the number. Do they think it may have been stolen at some time?

What is next, hide the make and model?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

About 15 years ago, I left a new black Selmer Series 3 tenor in a parking lot after a gig in the NW suburbs of Chicago. Loaded everything up into my car at the end of the night but the sax didn't quite make it into my car & was left in the parking lot. Despite my attempt to recover it a few hours later, it was gone. I reported it lost (not stolen). Technically and legally, the sax is still mine. I did have the receipt and the serial number at home. I'm sure whoever found my sax and sold it might be worried that I might try to claim it. Either way I think when people don't list the full number, they are trying to hide something, which seems dishonest. If you're worried in the least that a horn might be stolen, then don't buy it. Report the person.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

This really has nothing to do with the license plate info being tied to someones home address. A sax's serial number is not sensitive information unless it was stolen, or lost & never recovered by the owner and then sold. Either way, hiding the number make a person seem like they have something to hide. Like previously mentioned, showing the full number shows confidence that the horn is legally yours.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,356 Posts

About 15 years ago, I left a new black Selmer Series 3 tenor in a parking lot after a gig in the NW suburbs of Chicago. Loaded everything up into my car at the end of the night but the sax didn't quite make it into my car & was left in the parking lot. Despite my attempt to recover it a few hours later, it was gone. I reported it lost (not stolen). Technically and legally, the sax is still mine. I did have the receipt and the serial number at home. I'm sure whoever found my sax and sold it might be worried that I might try to claim it. Either way I think when people don't list the full number, they are trying to hide something, which seems dishonest. If you're worried in the least that a horn might be stolen, then don't buy it. Report the person.
Often a stolen horn has the serial number removed or altered.
As to a car plate, it belongs to the state and not the owner of the car. Test cases have involved persons claiming plate readers violate their private property but courts have ruled that ownership of the plate belongs to the state.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts

My Muramatsu was stolen 20+ years ago.
I put it on flute sites under stolen instruments with the whole serial number listed.
Years later it showed up on the bay with the whole number shown which someone saw and reported to the police.
I got a call from the police department which led to me getting it back.
If the number hadn't been listed I never would have got it back.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts