Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm 18 I own a Yamaha YTS-62 and I've been playing the tenor sax for about 3 years now I want to upgrade my Otto Link NY mouthpiece to something better. I have bought two from different suppliers because I thought the first one was defective but the other one did not please my ears either. I am planning on studying film composition in the future (I'd play classical / orchestral music). My budget is $200 - $500, if there are better classical mouthpieces for a higher price I am willing to pay no more than $700. Sorry my writing skills aren't the best and thank you.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
My suggestion given your age and playing experience is to find a good private teacher who is a great tenor player and have that teacher help you. Working with someone with experience one on one is far more valuable that casting a net on SOTW. None of us know how well you play, what your concept of sound is, or what style(s) you prefer to play. A teacher could help you narrow it down to 4 or 5 mouthpieces which you could order on a trial basis from WWBW and help you select the one that works the best for you.

Or you could buy an expensive mouthpiece some stranger on SOTW tells you is the best because it's the one he likes. :twisted:

·
Registered
573 Posts
Hi Mari and welcome to the forum.

What is that you dont like in the otto link and you feel it needs improvement?
Are you aware that the same brand and model of a mouthpiece can feel and sound different according to the tip opening?
What is a classical mouthpiece to you?
Do you have a clear concept of the sound you want to achieve or you think that you ll make classical music in the future and for that you need a classical mouthpiece?
For your budget every mouthpiece is a possibility and the only way is to try them out and see what you like. But for only three years of playing it is hard to imagine that you have a mastery of the saxophone and it is better to not spend too much for something that you could end up changing in few years. The best is to get something you like and stick to it for many many years to develop your sound.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,025 Posts
My suggestion given your age and playing experience is to find a good private teacher who is a great tenor player and have that teacher help you. Working with someone with experience one on one is far more valuable that casting a net on SOTW. None of us know how well you play, what your concept of sound is, or what style(s) you prefer to play. A teacher could help you narrow it down to 4 or 5 mouthpieces which you could order on a trial basis from WWBW and help you select the one that works the best for you.
^this.

·
Registered
306 Posts
If there is a tenor sax mouthpiece that is "best" for everyone, then it is a very well-kept secret.

Each of us has a different setup and plays differently and wants to make a different sound.
So what is best for me is almost certainly not best for you.

And two supposedly identical mouthpieces from the same manufacturer can sound different.

So I think the only way to find a mouthpiece that really pleases you is to try lots of different ones.

·
Registered
219 Posts
As you try different mouthpieces consider trying different reeds as well. Currently on the forum is a "ranking reeds from darkest to brightest" thread. You may find that changing reeds affects not only alters your sound but how a given mouthpiece works with your embouchure.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Hello, I'm 18 I own a Yamaha YTS-62 and I've been playing the tenor sax for about 3 years now I want to upgrade my Otto Link NY mouthpiece to something better. I have bought two from different suppliers because I thought the first one was defective but the other one did not please my ears either. I am planning on studying film composition in the future (I'd play classical / orchestral music). My budget is $200 - $500, if there are better classical mouthpieces for a higher price I am willing to pay no more than $700. Sorry my writing skills aren't the best and thank you.
Mari,

You don't have to spend a lot of money. An Otto Link is not good for doing what you want and classical players generally use a Selmer mouthpiece in about a C* facing. That should work best. I've been making mouthpieces for many years and all the classical players I've worked with played Selmer's so give them a try and get a good teacher. Phil Barone

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
I really need to brush up on my reading skills. I completely missed the reference to classical playing. In addition to the Selmers, you might want to try the Rousseau 4R or 5R which is a bit more open and the James Houlik mouthpiece which comes in one facing. In my experience the Selmers are a bit brighter than the other two. Classical players are more fortunate than jazz players in the fact that the top quality classical mouthpieces cost much less than their jazz counterparts.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Budget is not the challenge if you are willing to spend $700. You can probably find something great in the $150 - $350 (but I won’t promise). I looks like you now have a couple of starting points as far as brands go...but it is important to not just buy a mouthpiece because it is supposed to be good.

1). Find a music store that has a bunch of mouthpieces in inventory, so you can try them out. Spend a few hours with it.
2) If you are playing classical, a big tip opening is not preferred. Your next mouthpiece will probably have a tip opening less than 90. Big tip openings are normally used for Jazz sound, not classical sound.
3). If one of your challenges is better sound quality in the altissimo, you may needs a stiffer reed. Not sure what strength you are playing now, but if you are playing a 2.5 or 3 on the Otto Link, you are using too soft a reed to get a good Altissimo.

*******Please understand the challenge. If your Otto Link is a 110 tip opening and you stick a Vandoren 4 on it, you are probably going to either squeak or kill your jaw (if you are not used to it).....but to get the Altissimo for classical you need the stiffer reed. The way to compensate this is to get a mouthpiece with a smaller opening. A stiffer reed on a small tip opening plays more like a softer reed on a large tip opening. If your Otto does have a large tip opening, you will need to do a test drive on the new mouthpiece with a different reed. ***********

4). Agee that the mouthpiece that works for Tina is not the same mouthpiece the will work for Georgette on the same type of music.

Funny story, I was talking with Gail Robertson (Professor of Euphonium). Warburton makes a mouthpiece with Gail’s name on it. If you don’t know Euphonium, Gail is rather accomplished. She does indeed play the mouthpiece with her name on it. And she has a lot of confidence in Warburton’s design ability. She relayed this story to me once. “A student came up to me on day and asked me why I didn’t really mention my mouthpieces in class. I responded, ‘I assumed that was obvious. That mouthpiece is designed for my lips. Why would I assume it would fit yours?’”......if it fits, you won’t find a better mouthpiece than Warburton.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to everyone that responded , I should have asked what classical mouthpiece would you recommend instead X( . I understand that you guys may be thinking that I'm trying to spend hundreds of dollars on mouthpieces without much experience but I am receiving financial aid and I am planning on using a portion on sax and music software because it's "free" money that I'm not ripping out of my parents wallets haha again thank you. Maybe you'll hear my music on the big screen one day ?

·
Registered
564 Posts
If you are going to be taking applied sax lessons at your college, ask your future teacher for a recommendation. Many schools/instructors have required mouthpieces.
And financial aid isn’t “free money”, especially if it is a student loan. You’ll find there are going to be lots of expenses you never anticipated.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Thanks to everyone that responded , I should have asked what classical mouthpiece would you recommend instead X( . I understand that you guys may be thinking that I'm trying to spend hundreds of dollars on mouthpieces without much experience but I am receiving financial aid and I am planning on using a portion on sax and music software because it's "free" money that I'm not ripping out of my parents wallets haha again thank you. Maybe you'll hear my music on the big screen one day ?
You should be able to get a quality mouthpiece for under $200. I have 5 mouthpieces. Only one has cost me over $200, and it is for my back-up horn.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts