Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Be it jazz, other music, or something entirely different!

I haven't gone to any specifically good concerts before, but I am seeing Joshua Redman on friday, which should kick loads of butt.

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
Been to a bunch of shows recently, but the best had to be David Sanborn last month. Fantastic show, and I got to spend about half an hour with him afterwards. He was incredibly gracious. Here's a pic I took.

Honorable mention goes to Eric Clapton and Bill Evans; both of those shows were great also.

http://www.necgnet.com/ftp/music/dsc_0059.jpg

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,285 Posts
Soiled Mattress and the Springs...jazz trio with sax, keyboards and drums with no solos...last thursday at Don Pedro's in Williamsburg Brooklyn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
eddierich said:
I'm heading out the door to see the Moutin Reunion 4tet right now.
Awesome. Francois and Louis always do a duet medley tribute to a particular artist the 3rd song of the first set. In Houston it was John Coltrane and they played 26-2, India, and Giant Steps. Let me know what they do tonight.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Dave Brubeck quartet. Bobby millitello was awesome!!!!!

·
Forum Contributor 2010 & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,945 Posts
Last Friday night, I heard the Dave Kain Group..Dave Kain on Guitar, Matt Garrison on Tenor, Adam Nussbaum on drums... bass player's name escapes me right now.

It was at a pool-hall in Poughkeepsie, NY with about 15 people listening, about 30 folks shooting pool.

Matt is an an ex-student of mine and sounded great. Beautiful sound, great phrasing and creative solos. Dave is a really tasteful guitar player. And Adam Nussbaum is an incredible drummer, having played with James Moody, Mike Stern, Chris Potter and other heavies...

Great show... Weird venue... sad to see such great music and only 15 people listening...

Steve

·
Registered
393 Posts
qwerty said:
Last Friday night, I heard the Dave Kain Group..Dave Kain on Guitar, Matt Garrison on Tenor, Adam Nussbaum on drums... bass player's name escapes me right now.

It was at a pool-hall in Poughkeepsie, NY with about 15 people listening, about 30 folks shooting pool.

Matt is an an ex-student of mine and sounded great. Beautiful sound, great phrasing and creative solos. Dave is a really tasteful guitar player. And Adam Nussbaum is an incredible drummer, having played with James Moody, Mike Stern, Chris Potter and other heavies...

Great show... Weird venue... sad to see such great music and only 15 people listening...

Steve
Playing with Chris Potter and playing to 15 listeners and 30 pool shooters, gigging sure does present a wide spectrum of experiences.

·
287 Posts
I saw Cecil Taylor (solo) last November and Sonny Rollins in December, both in Philadelphia. The shows were both incredible!

·
Registered
600 Posts
I'll Second That!!!

sycc said:
Dave Brubeck quartet. Bobby millitello was awesome!!!!!
Haven't been getting out much lately but a friend dropped some passes for the Ottawa Jazz Festival so I caught Brubeck the other night.Bobby's got a really gutsy,bluesy sound on his alto,like he'd rather be playing tenor. He was the perfect compliment to Dave's understated playing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,143 Posts
Awesome. Francois and Louis always do a duet medley tribute to a particular artist the 3rd song of the first set. In Houston it was John Coltrane and they played 26-2, India, and Giant Steps. Let me know what they do tonight.
They did the same medley here in Vegas. The music was good, but the sound was really bad. I got to talk to Rick after the show and he said they were all having a tough time with it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
At the friends of jazz pa show this last weekend, I was lucky enough to catch two amazing acts.

Jeff "Tain" Watts with Christian McBride - Just amazing, it was a quartet performance, inspirational stuff.

and, The Maynard Ferguson tribute band. Basically the all-stars of the Big Bop Nouveau band of the last 10 years, give or take. Some amazing saxophone players. Chris Farr really impressed me, he has really come a long way since I saw him about 8 years ago with Maynard, and he was pretty damn good then.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Alan Toussaint and Preservation Hall Jazz band on a double bill a couple of weeks ago. PH led a New Orleans style parade around the auditorium for their encore, getting the audience to join them - and it didn't cost me a penny!

Off to see the Don Lusher band (minus the late, great man himself, of course) at the weekend. Mate of me bloke's is drumming for them, so we'll most likely be sharing a few bevvies in the bar afterwards.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I saw Joshua Redman with Brian Blade and Christian McBride about a month and a half ago at Berklee Performance center. Awesome.

bigtiny

·
Registered
55 Posts
Joshua Redman Trio at the Toronto Jazz Festival last Friday!!!:)

My fav. sax player (along with Gerry Mulligan who I sadly will not get to see/hear). I got to talk to Joshua Redman and the bass player just for a min. after the show too. Basically what I had to say to him at the time was: "man, your altissimo was INSANE!" lol. It was a great performance, with a great opening band too, (Delfeayo Marsalis and his band).

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Tobias Delius Quartet, Fredrik Ljungkvist's Yun Kan 5, ICP Orchestra, Francois Houle Tentet, the ZMF trio and the Sten Sandell Trio with John Butcher. All at the Vancouver Jazz Festival last week. Those are just the highlights.

·
4,147 Posts
I just watched a Europe concert from 1986 on TV. It was pretty cool. The played "Cherokee", but not the one you are thinking of...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts